There are a collection of folks here from MIT who are involved in a project called "Future Boston",which is tasked with building tools to facilitate the upcomingchallanges facing the city. In particular the MIT Department of UrbanStudies and Planning and Boston.com are sponsoring contests to see who can build the best mashups in the following areas:
- Innovation Landscape: Plots geospatialboundaries of a fast innovating hub
- Visualize the ""Innovation Landscape"
- Show change over time
- Identify key trends and exceptions
- Model Maker: Detects the development capacity ofa region
- Interpret "live on the ground" of ScienceCity using rich, parcel level data and multiple data sources
- Talent Scout: Maps newly-admitted degreecandidates to companies
- Investor:Matches dollars to opportunityTap administrative data ad publicdatasets about landuse, ownership, infrastructure, buildings, etc.
- Engaging public in deeper understanding of urban fabric and urban futures
- Envisioninglife along MassAveCity (now and in the future) from the point of viewof students, employers, universities, investors, etc.
- Technical: Push the boundaries of web mappingand information visualization
- Educational: Use technology to tell a storyabout life in Boston, MA,and the country and visualize how it could be different.
Thanks for reading,