This issue was complicated by the fact that I've been having two copies of Rational Application Developer open at the same time; each pointing to a different workspace, but both workspaces having projects of the same name. The RAD instances shared the same WebSphere server and apparently use the name as a unique identifier (as opposed to something truly unique like, say, the project's path on my disk). Needless to say, I had to rename one set of projects to fix this problem.ADMU0116I: Tool information is being logged in file C:\Program
ADMU0128I: Starting tool with the was70profile1 profile
ADMU3100I: Reading configuration for server: server1
ADMU3028I: Conflict detected on port 8880. Likely causes: a) An instance of
the server server1 is already running b) some other process is
using port 8880
ADMU3027E: An instance of the server may already be running: server1
ADMU0111E: Program exiting with error:
com.ibm.websphere.management.exception.AdminException: ADMU3027E: An
instance of the server may already be running: server1
ADMU1211I: To obtain a full trace of the failure, use the -trace option.
ADMU0211I: Error details may be seen in the file: C:\Program
Anyway, back to the above error. The startServer.log file hardly gives more information than the above, so I'll refrain from pasting it here. I didn't bother with a -trace option. So I was left with the likely causes: a) an instance of the server server1 is already running, or b) some other process is using port 8880. I assumed that my server was not already running, since I was trying to run it, and went with option b.
Netstat to the rescue! ...or, maybe not. Running "netstat -a -b" showed nothing listening to port 8880. Maybe I was doing it wrong.
Okay, so let's try something more powerful. Sysinternals has a lot of great tools, one of them I remembered for this use: TCPView. It's a slightly more advanced netstat; surely it would find what's hogging port 8880, right? Alas, just as with netstat, nothing was showing for port 8880.
Well then, maybe I'll just restart. Restarted... Connected to network... Minimized Lotus Notes... Immediately opened RAD and hit Run... Same exact error. Argh!
I tried some other things at this point; Googled for solutions, tried (unsuccessfully) to change the port and even the admin password on the WebSphere instance, tried to connect outside of RAD, etc. There was a lot of wasted time. Finally, I restarted and left EVERYTHING closed; didn't even connect to the network. I just immediately opened RAD and started the server instance, and it worked!
I then realized my mistake. All this time, I've gotten so used to IBM Lotus Notes and Sametime running in the background, and I make a point never to close it, so I didn't even consider it could be conflicting with WebSphere. But indeed, it seems Lotus Notes with Sametime is listening on port 8880, preventing my WebSphere server from starting.
I'm not sure the reasoning for this, or why netstat and TCPView didn't find it. I can't telnet to the port on localhost, so it doesn't even appear open to me. But yet there is a simple correlation: Lotus Notes & Sametime open, WebSphere fails; as soon as I close it, WebSphere starts. Finally I can finish my demo.