TSAM Extension for Workload Automation (http://www.ibm.com/software/ismlibrary?NavCode=1TW10WS12
) provides a solution to integrate Tivoli® Service Automation Manager with Tivoli Workload Automation.
- Tivoli Service Automation Manager assists you in the automated provisioning, management, and deprovisioning of IT landscapes, comprised of hardware servers, networks, operating systems, middleware, and application-level software. You can deploy, monitor, and manage cloud computing services. It also provides traceable approvals and processes.
- Tivoli Workload Automation plans, monitors, and controls the flow of work through your enterprise's entire operation on both local and remote systems. From a single point of control, Tivoli Workload Automation analyzes the status of the production work and drives the processing of the workload according to installation business policies. It supports a multiple-end-user environment, enabling distributed processing and control across sites and departments within your enterprise.
A business scenario
The purpose of the following scenario is to show how TSAM Extension for Workload Automation can improve the business of a financial enterprise.
The Alpha Credit
financial company has recently acquired another company, the Omega Bank
. The company business is spread across multiple activities in a complex environment comprising a high number of workstations, located in different sites or in different organizational units. The new company needs to calculate bank interest rates on accounts every month. A dedicated system to run this critical task is required only few days a month. They need to optimize systems utilization to reduce power consumption and maintenance duty costs. A smarter and green planet campaign is in place in the company. Since before the acquisition, Omega uses the TSAM Extension for Workload Automation to provision ready-to-use scheduling environments with just a few clicks. The operator in charge of creating the environment creates a project using the Tivoli Service Automation Manager user interface, and submits a service request to create a pool with name INTERESTRATES_US. Based on the requirements in the service request, Tivoli Service Automation Manager creates a pool of dynamic agents in the specified Tivoli Workload Scheduler environment and installs the software necessary to process the interest rates. The resulting environment is ready to use and no further intervention is required. To perform this task, the operator does not need to know the following background information:
- Hardware infrastructure and architecture
- Installation prerequisites and procedures for Tivoli Workload Scheduler dynamic agents
- Configuration details about the Tivoli Workload Scheduler master domain manager. This information is provided by the Tivoli Workload Scheduler administrator using a properties file
After the acquisition, the number of accounts to be processed increases dramatically by three times and all the jobs scheduled on the INTERESTRATES_US pool fail because suddenly the number of assigned resources is no longer sufficient. When the jobs fail, the operator receives an e-mail notification explaining the reason of the failure. The operator can easily resolve the problem by allocating more resources in the INTERESTRATES_US project using the Tivoli Service Automation Manager user interface. As soon as the resources are allocated, the operator restarts the jobs in error.
TSAM Extension for Workload Automation provides on demand provisioning and deprovisioning of workload-automation ready environments. The Extension creates pools and deploys dynamic agents when the need for new Tivoli Workload Scheduler workstations arises. The benefits that can be gained from using TSAM Extension for Workload Automation are the following:
- No prerequisite knowledge of Tivoli Workload Automation is required. All necessary information is available in the validated template.
- Checks on prerequisites are performed only once when defining the template to be used in future installations. The template is reused in all subsequent installations.
- Agents are easily deployed and installed by the operator, without intervention by the system administrator.
- Workstations are deployed on demand, on a just-in-time basis when new resources are required and can be deleted when they are no longer necessary.
- All new workstations are automatically installed, configured, and added to a pool, so that they are ready for scheduling, without having to wait for the next production day.
- The pool owner, defined when creating the pool, is automatically granted administrator privileges on the pool.