Some 65% of software projects fail to meet their stated objectives on time and on budget, driving $300 billion (USD) in unanticipated costs.
That is shocking, isn't it? Today’s solution delivery challenge is building better software, faster, despite ever-changing business goals
IBM Rational Software Architecture (RSA) really helps you innovate, collaborate and accelerate delivery within your enterprise. In a tight economy or even a great economy, these are not luxuries. These are necessities that give you a competitive edge and help you meet your development objectives.
Where RSA differentiates itself is collaboration. RSA is built on Jazz and this collaborative platform ties into your software delivery project. Unlike other software, where your models often become pictures of what is ‘thought’ to be implemented. RSA is integrated into the software delivery lifecycle, so your models can evolve with implementations and as new design details are identified, they can be communicated to stakeholders in real time. Designs can also be used to jumpstart development with "out of the box" transformations such as JEE5 from UML, unlike other abstractions, which are merely pictures that become obsolete quickly. With RSA your delivered code will match the design specifications. This means, you will not have ‘rushes’ to produce documentation for compliance audits and maintenance and enhancement of your applications will take an average of half the time and half the cost.
Many questions that come up in project status meetings are: what is the impact a requirement change has on the code? On the project deadline? On the project budget? If a ‘minor’ change is requested, for example, instead of 1000 simultaneous log-ons it should be 10000 or a minor process change due to newly announced regulations, what impact does it have on the project? Can these changes be accommodated? What does it mean to the status of the project?
RSA Integrates all aspects of software delivery lifecycle giving you a window into all of the surrounding software development phases – really linking design to all those phases. With views into requirements, your business processes, your change management and version control process – you truly do have a comprehensive integrated platform that is aligned to business goals, with an infrastructure for impact analysis.
Here is a list of benefits:
Abstraction (DSL, Deployment): Makes solving problems quicker, and easier
- Bridge the Business-IT Gap with business and architectural models and SOA
- Leverage your heterogeneous environments targeting a mix of Java/JEE/WebSphere/C++/C#/Microsoft .NET and other technologies
- Better team collaboration leveraging the power of abstraction and the power of the Jazz platform integrated with Rational Team Concert
- Mitigate risks, reduce costs, and improve outcomes by leveraging the techniques of abstraction-based communication, traceability, impact analysis
- Manage evolution of, and adherence to, design contracts as development is carried out by geographically and/or organizationally distributed teams
Automation: lets you focus creative solution not repetitive tasks … automate mundane, repetitive tasks
- Eliminate the mechanical and mundane, and focus on the creative.
- Achieve high returns on investment by automating development with abstractions, patterns, and transformations that are tailored to your specific domains and architectures.
- DSL services and tools to help define a custom environment for just enough modeling (tailored, simplified, adaptable) for the business.
Simplification: reuse, don’t start from a blank slate
RSA also has collaborative development asset sharing with Rational Asset Manager, live debug sharing with Rational Team Concert and SOA architectural freedom with WebSphere Business Modeler and WebSphere Integration Developer. It is important that tools integrate and talk to each other.This is all part of working smarter through collaboration and accelerate delivery. In other words, creating software with smart integrated tools to develop software faster and at a lower cost.
Don't let your development project fall into the 65% of software projects that fail to meet their stated objectives on time and on budget.
It is all part of creating a smarter planet through software.
And now for the demo!