Missleading RTC error message: client/server version mismatch
obeghain 100000Q3V6 Visits (3079)
I just spent (wasted) my evening trying to fix an error message i encountered today when i launched my RTC client instances. And since the error message does not reflect the root cause, the following might be interesting to know...
Since several days now, I've a RTC 18.104.22.168 server instaled and running in a ESXi VMWare host. As my usage of it was mainly in the requirements space, I didn't had to use the RTC eclipse-based client. Now, since, I also had another RTC server instance on SmartCloud, I had the RTC 22.214.171.124 client installed both on my MacOsX laptop and within several VMWare/Parallels windows virtual hosts.
As of today, I wanted to investigate thenintegration between RTC and RMC, I launched my RTC client on MacOSX the created a new repository connection to my ESXi VMWare hosted server and... no luck... an error apperaed saying that the version of my server is older than the one of my client!!
I checked, both were 126.96.36.199 but since i've maintaining several installs ofthe product it could be that the server install was done with a former 188.8.131.52 installation package than the one I used when installing the clients. When comparing the build ID of the RTC client with the one of the RTC server, i noted that both are 184.108.40.206 but the client is 111208-1025 and the server is 20111207-1025; so there is a difference! After several attempts, I finally decided to redo a complete new install of 220.127.116.11 for both the server and the client but the result was the same!!
In parallel, as good Jazz citizen, I searched the Jazz forum and found one topic related to a mismatch problem of version (see htt
I don't know why but... en désespoir de cause... I reviewed my repository connectiion settings and decided to change the specifed URI <rtc
So the root cause for the error message isn't a mismatch of client/server versions but simply an incorrect URI specified for my RTC repository!
Ok, I've spent several hours on this and the solution was in the Jazz post! But let's see the positive aspect... I will double-check my URIs in the future when encountering an error message + I've the opportunity to start again with this blog ;-)