The symposium itself was a great success and was a fully booked event (a full house!).
We ran 48 separate sessions across two and a half days,
all of them focused on storage and how IBM provides solutions for this space (including things like Cloud and DR).
These included many lab sessions on SVC, TPC and XIV.
Sessions were also given by IBM partners including Brocade and Qlogic.
In addition Brocade, Qlogic and LSI each manned a vendor stall to share information about their products.
And to top this off, Alexis Giral from the IBM Storage Pre-Sales team in Sydney
manned a Storwize V7000 demonstration stand for the entire event.
Attendees were able to see, hear, touch and most importantly play with, an actual Storwize V7000.
Feedback was sought from every attendee for every session. Feedback was also sought for the entire Symposium.
Of the sessions, the majority scored a net satisfaction rating of 100% (which is an excellent result).
The overall satisfaction rating for the conference was 99%.
The most popular session was: "Introducing the Storwize V7000"
Some of the feedback given across all of the sessions included:
- Great symposium with more value than I expected
- The event was extremely well organised
- Concise and very knowledgeable, ........ is an extremely good presenter, his use of practical experience to relate to the topic is excellent
- Excellent presentation: flowed very well answering questions that previous points raised
- Fantastic as always. Thanks.
- Outstanding! Excellent presentation! Thank you
- Stellar. Excellent!
- Excellent presentation!!! Nothing to improve on.
- Excellent speaker & deep understanding of session.
- Very engaging speaker.
- Had a great session & very interesting topic to attend - thanks.
- Excellent - very knowledgeable & enthusiastic.
- Fantastic. Thank you!
- ....a superb presenter with real world experience.
- Very knowledgeable presenter able to share real-life situations to illustrate the topic
- Enthusiastic & enlightening - learnt lots! Thanks.
- This has been the most enjoyable & informative session yet. Most of what learned will put in practice - very good session.
- Best session ever! Brilliant.
- Wow!!! Excellent work - enjoyed the presentation.
- Very knowledgeable, fluent & interactive with attendees & fielded questions excellently!
- As always great presentation, room was listening very intently throughout presentation
Some of the suggestions given for future symposiums included:
- include more "best practice"
- include more labs
- provide wireless access for attendees
I personally presented four different presentations, which were:
- XIV Implementation
- DS8000 Update
- Storage Pools and Easy Tier
- SAN Best Practices and Problem Determination
The last session listed (SAN Best Practices) was my favourite. The room was packed to over flowing
and the audience was very interactive.
So with all of this feedback and experience under our belts we can begin planning for the 2011 event.
In 2011 we will be holding another IBM System Storage event, this time in Melbourne, so watch this space for more updates.