The purpose of this application is to ease the process of programming ClearQuest Designer's state transitions matrix for change requests. UML2ClearQuest can export UML state charts to ClearQuest Designer, which makes for a simple visual design process. UML Export is supported from IBM Rational Software Architect or MS Visio.
UML2ClearQuest supports the following capabilities:
- Transferring UML states from IBM Rational Software Architect, MS Visio or StarUML. Design business processes with the comfort of IBM Rational Software Architect, MS Visio and StarUML and easily import the results to IBM Rational ClearQuest to a new or existing record type.
- Visualizing the import data. Before importing, UML2ClearQuest shows the state diagram and checks it for compliancy with the IBM Rational ClearQuest state machine.
- Exporting state machines for record types from IBM Rational ClearQuest. Allows for exporting IBM Rational ClearQuest state machines to UML diagrams in IBM Rational Software Architect, MS Visio and StarUMLformat for modifying and viewing. A modified diagram can then be imported to the existing record type from which it was exported.
1. UML2ClearQuest helps to tune ClearQuest scheme in very short terms basing on our UML diagrams which are describing the whole process of CM
2. UML2ClearQuest allows easy converting the transition matrix of ClearQuest Designer into the UML State chart diagrams.
3. The quickness and efficiency of UML2ClearQuest make it the irreplaceable tool for the analysis of the complex and undocumented processes. The time spent for UML diagrams' optimization is significantly less than the time needed for the analysis of the ClearQuest Designer transition matrix.
4. UML2ClearQuest helps to appreciably reduce TOC of CM process in company by reducing the requirements for CM manager qualification and for CM administrator as well. Also by radical reducing of the labor coefficient during ClearQuest Designer's schemes debugging.
5. UML2ClearQuest enclose an internal UML syntax parser that allows rapidly and efficiently receiving required ClearQuest Designer scheme which is bug free.
In ClearQuest, a change request’s lifecycle is described via state machines, which is defined by the state transition matrix. Programming these matrices is an administrative task, which is based on some specification (contained in a “Configuration management plan” document). The specification is written by an analyst, usually using two types of charts that describe a process – State-charts and Activity-charts. These charts are handed over to the administrator, who plots them to ClearQuest. This approach has several obvious deficiencies:
- There’s an excessive link in the chain: the administrator.
- Errors can frequently occur when transferring the diagrams.
- Correcting the diagram entails manual reprogramming of the ClearQuest state transition matrix.
- As a plug-in for IBM Rational Software Architect
- As an external application, which takes UML diagrams (in Visio & StarUML format), and converts them to ClearQuest’s state machine.
When exporting, UML diagrams are checked for compliancy with ClearQuest: since it's state transition matrix places several constraints on it's states and transitions, not all UML diagrams are valid. The export process is configurable; you can, for example, choose to create a new entity in the database, or change an existing one to match your UML diagram. If the export process was successful, your schema will increase it's version by one, and the entity will have been successfully added to your schema.
The external application works with Visio 2003 and StarUML diagrams . For Visio 2003, the following XML formats are supported:
- XML Drawing (*.vdx).
- XML Stencil (*.vsx).
- XML Template (*.vtx).
For StarUML the following format is supported:
- StarUML Project File (*.uml).
In Rational Software Architect, StateMachines are created in UseCases.
In all 3 cases (Visio, StarUML and RSA), only "UML Activity" elements are used to describe a change request's lifecycle.
- ClearQuest Designer.
- Administrative rights.
- Rational Software Architect or UML files MS Visio/StarUML format.
- This module is realized in the form of Win32 application, designed in .NET 2.0 environment.
- Supports UML 2.1 and up (all current versions).
- Analyze state chart syntax for ClearQuest state machine compatibility.
- UML diagrams can be transferred to new entities in a ClearQuest schema, or existing entities can be modified based on the UML.
- A ClearQuest-style preview of the transition matrix is available for checking the end-results.
- Code style independency.
- Multilanguage support.
- Import and visualize state charts from ClearQuest – reverse-engineering is employed to correct an already existing lifecycle with the visual convenience of UML.
- Programming ClearQuest transition matrices based on activity diagrams, with required field detection and access rights configuration according to groups and role policy depending on the state and action.