Remote console terminal - HMCconsole, mkvterm and vtmenu
sbodily 100000RUAA Comments (6) Visits (34336)
Probably the default method of accessing the console of an LPAR managed by an HMC is to use the HMC from WebSM, and then open a console window.
What's wrong with this?
1. Cut and paste don't work well.
2. It is inherently insecure even when WebSM uses ssl
The vterm is still passed over the network in clear text.
Next option: Use the 'mkvterm' command after doing an ssh login to the hmc.
1. You get an ssl protected session.
2. It can be tough getting the parameters right.
Undocumented command makes this easy:
Use 'vtmenu' which prompts you with the running partitions:
Retrieving name of managed system(s) . . . fs520view: DO NOT MODIFY
Partitions On Managed System: fs520view: DO NOT MODIFY
OS/400 Partitions not listed
1) "fs2: DO NOT MODIFY" Running
2) "fs3: DO NOT MODIFY" Running
3) "fsvio2: DO NOT MODIFY" Running
4) "fsvio1: DO NOT MODIFY" Running
5) "fs1: DO NOT MODIFY - NIM Server" Running
6) fs4 Running
Enter Number of Running Partition (q to quit): 6
Opening Virtual Terminal On Partition fs4 . . .
Open in progress..
AIX Version 5
(C) Copyrights by IBM and by others 1982, 2005.
---- As you can see, this was a piece of cake even for an old chemist like myself --