WXTR addresses a key space wherein enterprises are looking to modernize their existing COBOL workloads. WXTR tightly integrates Java EE applications and COBOL applications thus allowing users to re-use existing COBOL business logic while extending them with new and modern Java EE applications. Due to it's association with WAS, WXTR provides a forward looking and a modern environment for existing COBOL applications.
For a quick look, some of the key WXTR features are,
- Provides a tightly integrated environment to host Java EE and COBOL applications
- Allows easier interoperability between Java and COBOL applications
- Supports standard connectivity using JCA/SCA based interfaces
- Allows sharing of all kinds of data from Java to COBOL
- Common failure handling – COBOL errors propagated as Java exceptions.
- Unified administration
- Java EE and COBOL assets can be managed through a single window of administration – WebSphere Application Server administration console.
- Modern integrated application development
- RAD and RDp combine to give a unified application development environment wherein users can jointly develop and debug Java and COBOL applications.
WXTR in conjunction with WebSphere Application Server and Rational tools is a solution that best fits organizations that are looking to write new code in Java EE while retaining their existing core business logic in COBOL. WXTR brings in the best of interoperability and integration. Unified administration provides a single environment to manage both COBOL and Java resources. RAD (Rational Application Developer) and RDp (Rational Developer for Power Systems) integration provides a more complete development environment together for Java EE and COBOL programs. WXTR supports CICS style programming. Users can use many of the built in features in RDp for application development e.g. command assist, syntax checking, templates etc. Seamless debugging across Java and COBOL is a reality with the use of RAD and RDp.
In summary, WebSphere eXtended Transaction Runtime brings in further simplicity , ease of use , modern facilities and much more.Thus reducing the overheads in managing COBOL and Java workloads.
Couple of references for WXTR as below,