In a year the support for DB2 for z/OS Version 8 will end. April 30, 2012 to be precise. Are you ready to upgrade to DB2 9 or 10? There is lots of help for you to make sure you are ready and to help you protect your mission critical data without little or no downtime.
This is the first time in the history of DB2 for z/OS where you can skip a level and upgrade directly to DB2 10 from Version 8.
There are many reasons to upgrade to DB2 10 beyond the fact that support is ending. One of the main reasons is cost savings. Beta Customers for DB2 10 have seen dramatic reduction in CPU usage (5-10% for traditional workloads and 20% for some specific workloads). New features in DB2 10 will save you time, money and increase productivity:
- Bi temporal support
- Simplified compliance
- Security enhancements
- Online schema enhancements
Listen to John Campbell, IBM Distinguished Engineer who will share first hand customer experiences to help you plan an upgrade strategy to DB2 10.
May 17, 11:00 am EDT: DB2 10 for z/OS Migration Planning and Early Experiences
This is a complimentary webcast that will share early experiences and lessons learned with DB2 10 for z/OS. The objective of this webcast is to provide hints and tips that will help you prepare for and execute your migration, while preventing pitfalls and addressing some myths you may have heard. John will also share valuable planning information and usage guidelines and share IBM positioning on new enhancements.
In this webcast, we’ll cover these topics and more:
- Performance expectations and opportunities
- Virtual storage constraint relief
- Some instrumentation changes
- Use of 1MB real storage frame size
- Use of hash access
- The value of rebind
After the webcast there will be a live question-and-answer session with speaker John Campbell. John is one of IBM’s foremost authorities for implementing high-end database, transaction-processing applications. Over the past 12 months he has been working closely with DB2 10 Beta customers. This webcast offers a unique opportunity to learn from one of the leaders in this industry.
Other resources available to help you decide & then migrate:
DB2Night Show: DB2 V10 Migration Planning and Early User Experiences
Monday, 06-JUN-2011, 11am DT, 60 minutes
In this episode, host Klaas Brant and guest John Campbell will introduce and discuss early experiences and lessons to be learned with DB2 10 for z/OS. It will provide quick hints on preparing for and executing the migration, performance expectations and opportunities, virtual storage constraint relief, some instrumentation changes, use of 1MB real storage frame size, use of hash access, value of rebind, etc. Key topics covered will include:
1. Lessons learned,
2. Surprises and pitfalls;
3. Provide hints and tips;
4. Address some myths;
5. Provide additional planning information;
6. Provide usage guidelines
7. Provide positioning on new enhancements
- Clearly John Campbell is key to the migration message. Check out a few of his presentations.
- If you’d rather watch a few videos, check out the DB2 10 for z/OS YouTube Channel.
- Or, the Flashbook: DB2 10 for z/OS - Cost Savings ..... Out of the Box Flashbook
by Roger Miller, David Beulke, Julian Stuhler, Surekha Pureka
- Don’t miss the very informative web site: IBM DB2 10 for z/OS
This page includes links to
- DB2 10 for z/OS Business Value Whitepaper
- Discover Savings Right out of the Box Demo
- Learn How To Reduce Costs and Improve Performance Whitepaper
- DB2 10 Demo
- Why is DB2 for z/OS Better than Oracle? Whitepaper
- Temporal Data Management Whitepaper
- Hear What our Customers are Saying Whitepaper
- Link to join LinkedIN Group: DB2 10 for z/OS
- And stay on top of everything by following Surekha’s Blog.