New book: IBM Lotus Sametime 8 Essentials
svisser1 2700018UK9 Comments (2) Visits (3615)
This book was recently published by Packt Publishing:
A User’s Guide
Mastering Online Enterprise Cmmunicaton with this collaborative software
by Marie Scott and Thomas Duff
If you work for IBM, you know and love Sametime as much as I do. For those who don’t work for IBM and don’t use Lotus Notes as their mail server, Sametime is similar to MSN, except it is much more. I personally can’t imagine doing my job without this amazing tool!
Should you read this book? According to the back cover, this book was written for:
If you want to learn how to use IBM Lotus Sametime, then this book is for you. No matter if you’re new to Sametime or want to become a Sametime “power User”, this book contains something for you. The focus is on using Sametime as a user and does not include information about development or administration of a Sametime environment. But any user of Sametime in an organization will be able to take this book, sit down at their computer and learn how to use each feature of Sametime from start to finish.
From this description I think that anyone new to a Lotus Sametime environment would greatly benefit from reading this book. For those who already heavily use this tool, we’ll be able to enhance our skills and become more productive. For those who do not yet use Lotus products in your business, you’ll learn what power you’re missing!
I plan to read the book and hope to get tips on power functions such as:
* How to configure preferences. I’ve already been using the Primary Contacts feature and the Feed feature.
* How to customize Sametime instant messages with emoticons, text styles, graphics, attachments and hyperlinks. I’m using some of these already, but not all.
* Tips for adding voice and video to chats or meetings. This I don’t know about yet and it looks to have major promise.
* How to create and manage online meeting rooms to bring together everyone who needs to be at a specific meeting. I’ve been using online meeting rooms but need to know more about the features that available.
* Get tips on how to improve my usage.
* Connect to other users outside of our organization. This one has real potential. Right now I connect to some people via gtalk and others via MSN. Would be good to put all my business contacts in one place.