Roger is taking part in three highly accessible events that are taking place at IOD this year:
What’s in the book?
- Read this book to prepare to pass Exam 541 – DB2 for Linux, Unix, Windows Database Administration.
- All test objectives for this exam are covered in the same degree as they are covered on the exam.
- Roger was a member of the exam development team, so if fully aware as to what questions are on the exam!
- This book isn't like Roger’s previous books, rather this is a copy of the slides that he uses for his Crammer Courses to teach people at conferences what they need to know to pass the exam. The material has been tested multiple times and updated based on feedback from people after they’ve taken the exam.
What do you need to know to pass the exam?
This is an outline of the Exam Objectives. You can see the details on the website: Exam 541 Objectives
Section 1 - DB2 Server Management (10%)
- Demonstrate the ability to configure/manage DB2 servers, instances, and databases (e.g. scope)
- Demonstrate the ability to schedule jobs
- Demonstrate the ability to use autonomic features
Section 2 - Physical Design (20%)
- Demonstrate the ability to create a database and manipulate various DB2 objects
- Demonstrate knowledge of partitioning capabilities
- Demonstrate knowledge of XML data objects
- Demonstrate knowledge of compression
Section 3 - Business Rules Implementation (5%)
- Demonstrate the ability to create constraints on tables
- Demonstrate the ability to create views WITH CHECK OPTION
Section 4 - Monitoring DB2 Activity (15%)
- Demonstrate the ability to use Admin views and SQL functions for monitoring
- Demonstrate the ability to use Work Load Manager
- Demonstrate the ability to use additional auto-monitoring tools
- Demonstrate the ability to identify the functions of Problem Determination Tools
- Demonstrate the ability to capture and analyze EXPLAIN/VISUAL EXPLAIN information
Section 5 - Utilities (15%)
- Demonstrate the ability to use the data movement utilities
- Demonstrate the ability to use the REORG, REORGCHK, REBIND and RUNSTATS utilities
- Demonstrate the ability to use the DB2 Advisor utility
- Describe the purpose of Data Studio Administrator (basic concepts - replacing existing DB2 tools)
Section 6 - High Availability (20%)
- Describe DB2 data integrity actions
- Demonstrate the ability to perform database-level and table space level backup and recovery operations
- Demonstrate the ability to configure and manage HADR
Section 7 - Security (10%)
- Describe DB2 authentication
- Describe DB2 authorizations and privileges
- Describe the ability to set and remove user, group, and role authorities and privileges
- Demonstrate general knowledge of the Audit facility
- Demonstrate knowledge of the DB2 Security Infrastructure
Section 8 - Connectivity and Networking (5%)
- Demonstrate the ability to configure database connectivity
- Demonstrate knowledge of using JDBC/SQLJ connections with DB2
Other blog entries about IOD Events:
More information about Roger & Certification Exams:
Roger Sanders was featured in the latest edition of the DM Magazine - The Man to See About Certification - “The guru of DB2 certification tests talks about how he puts them together—and how they can help your career” by Howard Baldwin
I wrote an entry on my blog some time ago that I still recommend: Certification 101. I do need to update the entry to include the DB2 9.7 exams such as Exam 541, but the content is still accurate in most ways:
Benefits of Earning a Certification
New in Certifications
How to Prepare to Pass a DB2 Certification
Details about DB2 Certification Program
Once you are Certified... What Next?
Study Materials Electronically
Roger Sanders Books, Videos, and Crammer Course