Congratulations to author and IBM Champion Tony Andrews
on his new book:
DB2 SQL Tuning Tips for z/OS DevelopersThis
well-organized, easy-to-understand reference brings together 102
SQL-related skills and techniques that any developer can use to build
DB2 applications that deliver consistently superior performance.
Legendary DB2 tuning expert Tony Andrews ("Tony the Tuner") draws on
more than 23 years of DB2-related experience, empowering developers to
take performance into their own hands - whether they're writing new
software or tuning existing systems. He fully reflects the latest DB2
SQL programming best practices up to and including DB2 V9 and DB2 V10 on
Buy directly from the publisher to save 35%, using discount code IBM8460 plus free ground shipping within the U.S.
If you're in Europe, you can purchase this book
and many others in the IBM Press series at 35% off the retail price, plus free shipping in the UK and discounted in other countries.
More about the book:
largest database tuning performance gains can often be obtained from
tuning application code, and applications that use SQL to retrieve data
are the best candidates for tuning. This well-organized,
easy-to-understand reference brings together more than 100 SQL-related
skills and techniques that any developer can use to build and optimize
DB2 applications for consistently superior performance.
tuning expert Tony Andrews (“Tony the Tuner”) draws on more than 20
years of DB2-related experience, empowering you to take performance into
your own hands, whether you’re writing new software or tuning existing
systems. Tony shows you exactly how to clear bottlenecks, resolve
problems, and improve both speed and reliability.
This book fully
reflects the latest SQL programming best practices for DB2 V9 and DB2
V10 on z/OS: techniques that are taught in no other book and are rarely
covered in general DB2 SQL courses. Drawing on his extensive consulting
experience and highly praised training with Themis Inc., Tony also
presents practical checklists and an invaluable 15-step methodology for
optimizing virtually any DB2 application.
- Empowering developers on knowing what to do and where to look in resolving performance problems in queries or programs
- Providing many programming and SQL coding examples
- Establishing standards and guidelines that lead to high-performance SQL
- Implementing time-efficient code walkthroughs to ensure that your standards are followed
- Focusing on the small number of SQL statements that consume the most resources
- Identifying simple solutions that deliver the most sizable benefits
- Optimizing performance by rewriting query predicates more efficiently
- Providing a better understanding of SQL optimization and Runstat statistics
- Recognizing opportunities to tweak your code more effectively than the Optimizer
- Optimizing SQL code with COBOL applications
- Efficiently checking for the existence of data, rows, or tables
- Using Runstats’ newest capabilities to consistently optimize paths to data