Do you feel the excitement of Big Data?
svisser1 2700018UK9 Visits (3691)
If you were at the IOD11 Conference last week and tried to get a copy of the latest Flashbook “Understanding Big Data: Analytics for Enterprise Class Hadoop and Streaming Data”. If you weren’t at the conference, here’s what happened: I had 3000 printed copies of this book by IBM experts Paul Zikopoulos, Chris Eaton, Tom Deutch, George Lapis, and Dirk Deroos. We scheduled 2 time periods for the giveaways and author signings… Monday & Tuesday outside the event center after the opening session. None of the books were remaining after the first giveaway. Yes, it is true that we handed out 3000 copies on that Monday morning in what seemed like a mere 30 minutes!
I had an additional 1000 copies of this book delivered for Wednesday morning and had no trouble finding people who were eager to get a copy of the book to read. I’ve given out books at many conferences over the years and must say that this was the most exciting of all. More about the book: Flashbook: Understanding Big Data: Analytics for Enterprise Class Hadoop and Streaming Data http
If you didn’t get a copy, I’m happy to announce that you can get the free e-version of this book on my bookstore page: ibm.
If you’re an IBMer and want a box of these books for an event, contact me via my IBM email address and I’ll give you instructions on how to get the books.
Want more? Here are other ways that you can build your knowledge and skills on this hot new technology:
1) Join Paul Zikopoulos this Friday, Nov 4 on the DB2Night Show, Episode #62 – Big Data Overview. The space for this free webinar is limited, so register now! Thanks again to award-winning IBM Champion Scott Hayes for doing such a great job of entertaining and educating the public!
2) Read Jeff Jonas’ blog entries about Big Data:
3) Dive into the best wiki in the world! BigInsights Technical Enablement Wiki: ibm.
4) Read this technical intro to IBM BigInsights, IBM’s Big Data platform, by Cynthia Saracco: Understanding InfoSphere BigInsights: An introduction for software architects and technical leaders.
5) One of the 82 Web-based Training Courses available for IM is BigInsights Essentials.
6) Want to learn Hadoop, MapReduce, HBase or other Big Data topics? Join free BigD
7) Read the excellent article by Lisa Stapleton that published in a recent edition of the IBM Data Management Magazine BigData - Volume, Variety, and Velocity. How do you attack something *that* big?
8) Read the article Big Data Impacts Data Management: The Big Vs of Big Data by IBM Champion Dave Beulke.
9) Follow the blogs and tweets that are happening real-time via the Big Data Daily.
10) Read the article by IBM Champion Craig Mullins Big Data and 150 Trillion Calculations Per Second at Vestas
Read, attend and learn!