Ruby on Rails for Microsoft Developers
You may know Antonio because of his blogs or tweets, especially if you are part of the Ruby on Rails community.
Order this book now from amazon and receive a 33% discount:
List Price: $49.99Price: $33.74 You Save: $16.25 (33%)
Who should read this book?
This book is for programmers who have experience developing the Microsoft Windows platform and are interested in learning more about, and getting the most out of, Ruby on Rails.
Wrox guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think. Written by programmers for programmers, they provide a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.
This definitive guide examines how to take advantage of the new Agile methodologies offered when using Ruby on Rails (RoR). You’ll quickly grasp the RoR methodology by focusing on the RoR development from the point of view of the beginner- to intermediate-level Microsoft developer. Plus, you’ll get a reliable roadmap for migrating your applications, skill set, and development processes to the newer, more agile programming platform that RoR offers.
From the Back Cover
With its valuable combination of simplicity and productivity, Ruby on Rails is a portable, extendable, open source web application framework that quickly gained worldwide acclaim. The aim of this book is to make the enticing Rails methodology more approachable for developers who are already familiar with Microsoft tools.
After an overview and brief history of the framework, you'll focus on learning Rails development from the point of view of a beginner-to-intermediate level Microsoft developer.
The author explores all the fundamental aspects of Rails, and includes comparisons and references to Microsoft development tools that you may already be familiar with. In doing so, he provides you with an easier path to learn how Rails simplifies the design and implementation of web applications.
By serving as a roadmap for migrating your skill set, development processes, and applications to the newer Agile programming platform that Rails offers, this book will help you leverage your existing skills so you can quickly take advantage of the full potential of Rails.
What you will learn from this book
- The Rails history and culture, as well as common misconceptions
- How to install Rails on Windows and other platforms
- How to grasp the Model-View-Controller (MVC) architecture pattern as implemented by Rails
- The different philosophies between Rails and Microsoft frameworks like ASP.NET and ASP.NET MVC
- The essentials of the Ruby language and its datatypes
- Techniques for creating and developing a new RESTful Rails application
- Using the ActiveRecord Object-Relational Mapper (ORM) to work with databases
- Publishing and consuming Web Services with Rails
- Getting ready for deployment in production
Enjoy the book!