Just published by O'Reilly Media:
Beautiful Data: The Stories Behind Elegant Data Solutions
By Toby Segaran, Jeff Hammerbacher
IBM's Jeff Jonas, Chief Scientist, Entity Analytics; and all-round amazingly fun guy co-wrote chapter 7 with
Lisa Sokol, Senior Managing Consultant - Entity Analytic Services.
PS... I love the cover... it is beautiful just like the topic!
From the publisher:
In this insightful book, you'll learn from the best data practitioners in the field just how
wide-ranging -- and beautiful -- working with data can be. Join 39 contributors as they explain
how they developed simple and elegant solutions on projects ranging from the Mars lander to a Radiohead video.
With Beautiful Data, you will:
* Explore the opportunities and challenges involved in working with the vast number of datasets made available by the Web
* Learn how to visualize trends in urban crime, using maps and data mashups
* Discover the challenges of designing a data processing system that works within the constraints of space travel
* Learn how crowdsourcing and transparency have combined to advance the state of drug research
* Understand how new data can automatically trigger alerts when it matches or overlaps pre-existing data
* Learn about the massive infrastructure required to create, capture, and process DNA data
That's only small sample of what you'll find in Beautiful Data. For anyone who handles data, this is a truly fascinating book.
Visit Jeff's blog to get your hands on a PDF version of chapter 7 while it is still posted.
Congratulations Jeff & Lisa :)