Well, I'm back from my adventure. For those who did not follow my tweets, here is a quick recap. Not counting the day we flew from Tucson to Minneapolis, or the day we flew from Memphis back to Tucson, Mo and I spent nine days on the road, covering 1549 miles, or roughly two thirds of the Mississippi River.
- Starting in Minneapolis, MN - roller coaster rides at the [Mall of America], the [SPAM museum in Austin, MN], the windmill farm in Southeastern Minnesota, and drove along the river from Red Wing down to Reads Landing. Stayed in a nice B&B called [The River Nest].
- The [National Eagle Center], Buena Vista park at Alma, WI, wine tasting at the [Danzinger Vineyards], see the paintings at the [Minnesota Marine Art Museum], tasty "walnut balls" at [Historic Trempealeau Hotel], the [world's largest six pack] and the [Shrine of our Lady of Guadalupe] in La Crosse, WI. Stayed at a motel in Prarie Du Chien, WI.
- Villa Louis in Prarie Du Chien, pictures in front of the Lady Luck pink elephant in Marquette, IA. Cheese Curds at Pike's peak just south of McGregor where the Wisonsin river merges into the Mississippi river, wine tasting at the [Double L vineyards], lunch at [Breitbach's in Balltown], rode the [Fenelon Place Elevator] in Dubuque, walked through the [Grotto at Dickeyville, IL], deep fried chicken livers at [Kalmes General Store] in St. Donatus, IA. Stayed at a hotel in Clinton, IA.
- Celebrated Fourth of July at the [Wide River Winery] just north of Clinton, IA. Saw "The Last Airbender" at the local cinema.
- Buffalo Bill Cody museum was closed on Monday, ate my first loose-meat sandwich lunch at Maid-Rite in Moline, IL, the button museum, aka [Muscatine History and Industry Center] was also closed on Monday, took pictures in the corn fields at Oquawka, IA, ate smoked Carp from [Quality Fisheries, in Niota, IA], ate raisin pie at the Maid-Rite in Quincey, IL. Stayed in a hotel in Hannibal, MO - home of Mark Twain.
- Took the Mark Twain paddleboat tour up and down Mississippi river to see Jackson island, almost drove car into the river at Winfield, MO where the Ferry was supposed to be, ate one of everything on the menu at [Fast Eddy's Bon-Air], rode up to the top of the [Gateway Arch] in St. Louis. We stayed in a hotel in downtown St. Louis, MO.
- Ate donuts at World's Fair Donuts and frozen custard called "concrete" at [Ted Drewes'] in St. Louis. Popeye museum in Chester, IL, ate dinner at Dixie BBQ in Jonesboro, and took pictures of the huge Superman statue in Metropolis, IL. Stayed in a hotel in Paducah, KY.
- Read the murals on the flood walls and toured the [National Quilt Museum] in Paducah, KY. Lunch at Nicky's BBQ just north of Clinton, KY, stopped for photos at Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee. Stayed in a hotel in Memphis, TN.
- Tour of [Graceland Mansion], home of Elvis Presley, and [Mud Island], ate dinner at Gus' World Famous Hot & Spicy Chicken, all in Memphis, TN.
Well, now I have a lot of unread emails and blogs to get through! My next trip is the [IBM System Storage Technical University] in Washington DC, July 26-30.