IMS Tools Solution Packs announced—see how these end-to-end solutions
save time and resources.
On February 9, 2010 IBM announced four new integrated IMS Tools Solution Packs. The IMS Tools Solution Packs help deliver faster return on your tools investment by reducing CPU consumption and DBA labor costs, and by eliminating application downtime. The Solution Packs allow you to perform combined installs, help increase integration across groups of tools, and give you the ongoing benefit of simplified maintenance.
In addition, two new IMS Tool product versions, and one new IMS Tool product release were also announced. All tools are generally available on
New to the IMS Tools portfolio are the IMS Tools Solution Packs:
IMS Database Solution Pack for z/OS, V1.1 – high performance utilities
· Combines features, functions, and processes your database administrators can use to more effectively analyze, maintain, and tune IMS full-function databases, including High Availability Large Databases (HALDBs). It provides a comprehensive set of high-performance utilities to unload, load, build indexes, reorganize, backup, verify, and report on full-function databases. This solution can help reduce operational complexity and mitigate the impact of database reorganization on system resources.
IMS Fast Path Solution Pack for z/OS, V1.1 – extensive utilities for Fast Path databases
· Delivers extensive utilities that include functions a database administrator can use to analyze, maintain, and tune IMS Fast Path databases. Included are features that can help boost system availability by enabling the operations of a variety of key functions without taking the IMS database offline.
IMS Performance Solution Pack for z/OS, V1.1 – smart solution for optimal performance
· Delivers a more affordable, comprehensive portfolio of IBM database performance management tools. The product combines the features and functions of IMS Connect Extensions for z/OS, IMS Performance Analyzer for z/OS, and IMS Problem Investigator for z/OS. This integration makes the end-to-end analysis of IMS transactions faster and easier than ever, and is better able to support improved productivity for problem analysts, improved IMS application performance, more efficient IMS resource utilization, and higher system availability.
IMS Recovery Solution Pack for z/OS, V1.1 – implements best practices for backup and recovery
· Combines all the features, functions, and processes to support efforts to implement best practices backup and recovery scenarios. This product combines the features and functions of IMS Recovery Expert for z/OS and IMS Database (DB) Recovery Facility for z/OS. Additionally, it provides IMS Index Builder, IMS High Performance (HP) Change Accumulation, and IMS HP Image Copy capabilities. This solution pack provides a cost effective way to ensure your IMS data is recovered quickly and accurately in the case of an outage.
IMS Tools Base for z/OS, V1.1 – supports key strategic architectures
· Combines several IMS products and the entire collection of IMS Tools common infrastructure components into a single consolidated installation package. The IMS Tools Base provides technologies and services to support key strategic architectures including Autonomics, Rule Based Programming, and GUI. This is a no charge PID product and a pre-requisite for all of the IMS Tools Solution Packs.
Plan to attend the February 16 IBM teleconference on the IMS Tools Solution Packs. Janet LeBlanc, Consulting Technical Sales Support IMS Tools, will provide detailed information on these new Packs and answer all your questions. Register at
Learn more about IMS 11 and the new tools at a series of Technical Update Seminars for IMS and IMS Tools Enhancements and Migration Planning being offered this spring beginning February 23 in
Other IMS Tools announced on February 9 include:
IMS Configuration Manager for z/OS, V1.3 (formerly IMS Parameter Manager for z/OS, V1.2) is a configuration management tool that you can use to analyze, modify, and deploy IMS resources and parameters. It helps improve the IMS version-to-version upgrade process via its automated features and validation operations.
IMS Configuration Manager will be featured in an April 27 IBM teleconference. Watch our IMS Tools website for more information. http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/db2imstools/products/ims-tools.html
IMS Database Reorganization Expert for z/OS, V4.1, (formerly IMS Parallel Reorganization for z/OS, V3.2) delivers database reorganization infrastructure for IMS full-function databases. With this tool, DBAs can now have central control of policies on conditions for exception detection and reorganization of IMS full function databases. This helps save time and resources for database exception detection and reorganization.
IMS High Performance Image Copy for z/OS, V4.2, delivers faster backup and recovery of database data sets using advanced copy technology and extends the capabilities of IMS. It helps you speed recovery time by supporting quicker copy and restarting methods, and can help your system users become more productive and support efforts to avoid expensive losses from missed business opportunities.
For more information about the IMS Tools Solution Packs and the other
February 9 IMS Tools announcements, visit http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/db2imstools/products/ims-tools.html