Tip of the Week: Benefits of signing in to the IBM Support Portal
UPDATE: New video added November 2, 2012: Video of the Week: Benefits of Signing In to IBM Support Portal
Welcome to another Tip of the Week
- this time we'd like to discuss signing in to the IBM Support Portal
. More specifically, why signing in will provide IBM clients a better experience.
So what are the benefits for IBM clients?
There are many, here are the top 6!
- Your IBM Support Portal profile is saved by IBM - this is one of our favorite benefits! If you don't sign in, your IBM Support Portal settings - mainly your product selections - are maintained with a "cookie" stored on your computer. If you change computers, change browsers or you delete your cookies, then all your product selections are lost. BUT, if you sign in to the IBM Support Portal, then select the products you care about, IBM will save those settings for you! So by signing in, you may access the IBM Support Portal from your office computer, your home laptop or even a tablet, and your settings will be remembered each time!
- Ability to download software fixes you are entitled to - As of January 31, 2012, each IBM client accessing IBM Fix Central is required to have an individual IBM ID to download fixes (some exemptions may apply). So in this case, without signing in, you will be unable to access the fixes you need.
- A customized view of your IBM products and services - By signing in, you will be able to customize your IBM Support Portal screens. You can determine which modules appear on each page and focus on the ones most helpful to you. You will be able to move modules, delete modules, plus add modules from other pages.
- View our video: This Week's Video Quick Tip: Customizing Your IBM Support Portal View for additional details.
- Viewing content that made available to IBM clients only - By signing in, if you are part of a premium support program, such as Enhanced Technical Support (ETS) Gateway or the Accelerated Value Program (AVP), signing in displays features unique to your program.
- Faster creation of service requests - Instead of calling or emailing IBM Support for assistance, by signing in, you will be able to submit questions via the web using IBM Support Portal's Service request & PMRs page. Using the associated tools, either IBM Service Request (for software) or IBM Electronic Service Call (ESC+) (for hardware), you will be able to work with service requests much easier and faster that using the phone or email processes.
- With "Full Access", the ability to see all current service requests across your company under your linked ICN - Once you have linked your IBM ID with you IBM Customer Number (ICN), and have been given "Full Access" to your organization's service requests, you will be able to see all your organization's services requests in the IBM Service Request tool, not just your own.
additional help with linking your IBM Customer Number (ICN) and IBM ID
in the IBM Service Request tool, visit this checklist with screen
captures of the process: http://ibm.com/software/support/servicerequest/quick_start.html
Also, here is a great video we made to clarify things further: This Week's Video Quick Tip: The Benefits of Signing In to the IBM Support Portal
For more information about all of IBM's Electronic Support sites and tools, please visit: http://ibm.com/electronicsupport
Keep up-to-date with IBM Electronic Support through these social media channels:
IBM Electronic Support Info Site | Twitter | Facebook | IBM Electronic Support Community Blog | YouTube | LinkedIn
If you can't access YouTube, our videos are also available in the IBM Electronic Support Information
site. See the video section at the bottom of the Overview page. You
may navigate to additional videos by clicking the grey arrows on the
left and right of this section.