High 5 for Opera Mini 5
Govind_Baliga 1200008P2J Comments (7) Visits (9309)
As I was browsing the app store on my iPhone, I couldn’t help but notice the top application on the iTunes store. To my surprise it was the Opera Mini 5 Web browser. It boasts easier & faster navigation, stylish tabbed browsing with thumbnail images of the page, password manager, synch bookmarks, and much more. Let’s take a look at some of the useful features:
1) When it comes to trying a new browser, the one question that comes to my mind: Is it going to be faster than my previous browsing experience? It turns out that Opera Mini browser is much faster than Safari. Opera Mini is a proxy browser that sends page request to Opera’s servers, which compresses the requested page before sending it to the mobile device. This distinguishing technology sets apart Opera Mini from Safari in terms of speed.
2) The “Settings” option lets you turn on/off image load; quality of image can be set to low, medium or high; font size can be changed to small, medium, or large; turn on/off mobile view (by turning it off, you can view in full site mode); enable or disable full-screen mode to hide the address bar and header; change privacy settings, etc.
3) Whether you are using Opera on your home computer, work computer, or mobile device, you have the flexibility to synchronize your bookmarks, speed dial and notes. Now this I find it very helpful when I switch across different computers. Knock on wood, or even when a machine crashes you don’t need to worry about losing all those saved bookmarks.
4) “Speed dial”, a feature that allows you to display saved bookmarks in a thumbnail icon format instead of a linear text format that Safari displays. It’s a quick and easy to access your 9 favorite sites represented with a easy to recognize icons.
5) Option to save password after you have logged on to your favorite site. This is a time saver for sure. I certainly dislike entering user name and password over and over again.
6) Not finding what you are looking for on a web page? Worry not, you can click on the tool icon to select “Find in page”.
7) Tabbed browsing that lets you select the page you want by tapping on the web page icon. The experience here was much easier to use than on Safari.
8) Ability “Save page” so that you can access it later, even if you don’t have internet connection. This is definitely a bonus for those who are on the go or traveling via subway, tube, tunnels or places with dropped connection.
9) Customize search to choose from Amazon, Google, eBay, and Wikipedia.
10) Don't want to lose your current page? With Opera Mini 5, you have the option to open the selected link in a new tab. You can also save text or image similar to how you would do in Safari.
Overall, Opera Mini browser does offer a plethora of nifty features that takes browsing experience to a new level. It’s free and is the top most downloaded application in the app store. After testing it out myself, I am giving my high 5 for the Opera Mini 5. I encourage you to give it a try.