Tom: I've got good news and bad news. Which do you want first?
Me: Good news.
Tom: New Thinkpad T42p
Me: WOO HOO!
Me: Bad news?
Tom: You have to walk down to my office to get it.
Here are the specs:
- 2 GHz processor
- 2 GB RAM (Eclipse is hungrier and hungrier...)
- 80 GB, 7200 RPM hard disk
- Onboard 802.11 a/b/g wireless
I named this computer "odyssey4". Why? Well, I joined IBM in February, 2001 so I decided to name my first computer odyssey1, since I was starting a new journey in my life, since the year was 2001, and since I'm a big fan of the Kubrick movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. Here are the computers I've had at IBM:
- odyssey1 (2001 - 2002) - slow desktop
- odyssey2 (2002 - 2004) - Thinkpad T21
- odyssey3 (2004 - 2006) - Thinkpad T40
- odyssey4 (2006 - ?) - Thinkapd T42p
My T40 was actually pretty good - also 2GB of RAM and 7200 RPM hard disk (which make the most difference when doing development). The three big plusses of this current iteration are:
- Fresh version of Windows - I totally hosed my last computer to the point of being almost unusable
- Only one greasy little handprint (so far) from my 2 year-old
- 802.11g wireless that isn't hosed (the wireless was the most hosed part of my very hosed last computer)
Well, I think that's enough:
- about my Thinkpad
- bulleted lists
... for one night.
- Bill (firstname.lastname@example.org).[Read More]