This is my top TCO calculator....
Social Business transformation
Matching: virtualize X
Here is a podcast I did recently around cost reduction strategy:
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  open symphony office virtualize microsoft ibm palmisano migrate collaboration occs linux client liberate 3,570 Views
Check out this report from eweek on Palmisano's top 15 moves.
Move # 8 is all around the IBM Open Collaboration Client Solution (OCCS -- http://www.ibm.com/lotus/openclient) including virtual linux desktops using Virtual Bridges and Canonical - the Microsoft desktop alternative, and Symphony (http://symphony.lotus.com)
Why should CIOs and CFOs care?
1. Opportunity to free up your IT budget
2. Opportunity to get ROI in less than a year
3. Opportunity to lower TCO
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  windows bridges redhat desktop reduce liberate ubuntu canonical linux migrate virtual cost tco microsoft novell roi virtualize 4,156 Views
Reduce costs, lower TCO, <1year ROI?
Here is the Liberate - Migrate - Virtualize recipe
Liberate:- free up money in IT budget by taking alternate procurement strategy: http://www.ibm.com/software/info/liberate
- more than 600 companies have freed up $3.5B over the last 3 years by executing this strategy
Migrate:- Reduce software licencing costs and increase productivity through best-of-breed smarter collaboration technologies
- There are several starting points and scenarios based on user segmentation (http://www.ibm.com/lotus/openclient)
- Microsoft office to Lotus Symphony (http://symphony.lotus.com)
- Microsoft windows to Linux
- Microsoft Outlook/Exchange, SharePoint, etc. to IBM Lotus Collaboration
- Add Lotus Sametime, Lotus Connections, Lotus Quickr etc to the current environment
- Leverage a variety of Integrated Communication Services including converged communications, mobility and wireless, network optimization, RFID, and telecom expense management
- Simplify your server infrastructure by moving to Linux, System Z, etc
- Pick the best delivery model
Virtualize: (http://www.ibm.com/lotus/openclient)- Reduce operational costs
- Virtual windows/Linux desktops for the right user segments
- Managed end user services including self enablement portal, asset recovery, platform integration and deployment, software platform management, and workplace optimization
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  planet collaboration liberate virtualize smarter symphony cio migrate reduction cost linux cognition 3,523 Views
Lotusphere 2009 was quite exciting. I am back again here due to requests from customers and partners who wanted to keep a pulse on competitive insights. So what is new? what is hot?
Cost reduction strategies is hot. Remember? Liberate, Migrate, Virtualize...
Desktop Virtualization is hot. Particularly if you virtualize your Linux desktops. Yes Linux. Check out this solution IBM announced with Virtual Bridges and Canonical in Dec 2008.
Then of course, how can you collaborate smarter? What does it mean to People, their workspace, and the business processes and relevant information sources?