Check this out. Assam government in India has given 14,000 PCs loaded with Ubuntu Linux operating system to well performing students. 14,000 more to be distributed in 2009.
Social Business transformation
Matching: ubuntu X
Nice writeup by eWeek on Ubuntu Linux desktops..
"The biggest reason for Brooks' Ubuntu inclination isapplication availability. If there's a piece of Linux-supportingsoftware that you want to run, there's a good chance that it's beenpackaged up in a ready-to-install format for Ubuntu Linux. What's more,of all the operating systems he's used or reviewed, Ubuntu offers thebest set of tools for acquiring, installing, updating and removingapplications."
I got my 9 year old going Ubuntu desktop few months back. Webkins, downloading music to her iPod, playing games, creating charts, etc.
Works like a charm. Happy camper...
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  linux #ls10 simmtronics center waltham symphony virtual icsw preload rajagiri canonical kita #icsw company open ubuntu saintgits bridges zxyware 1 Comment 7,225 Views
We announced IBM Cient for Smart Work in India today at Lotusphere...
This is all around ECOSYSTEM build out...
1. Simmtronics, top 5 memory manufacturer in the world announced global agreement that ships ICSW on their Simmbooks in India, USA, and many other countries worldwide..
2. In partnership with Canonical (primarily) and with Red Hat on a selective basis
3. Academic Initiative center of excellences with 3 engineering colleges in the state of kerala
4. ZSL announced Powercube DaaS in India, Africa, USA
5. Zyxware, IBM and Canonical business partner piloting ICSW in Technopark in Kerala
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  ubuntu red open domino ibm arrow csscorp linux notes client vads novell hat 3,917 Views
Check this out: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23370.wss
On a roll. Great momentum with Open Collaboration Client Solution (OCCS -- Lotus Notes, Lotus Symphony, etc.)
1. OCCS powered by SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop from Novell: More Customers, Value Added Resellers like Arrow in USA, Avnet in Italy generating leads for their partners. Live DVD from Novell: https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/preLogin.do?lang=en_US&source=sw-pprod05&S_PKG=SW-LN8betaSUSElinux
2. Red Hat offering OCCS powered by RHEL from Red Hat: Marketing initiative for Business Partners
and Live DVD: http://rhx.redhat.com/rhx/support/article/DOC-2050
3. Lotus Notes support for Ubuntu (limited 8.0.1, full 8.5)
Lotus Symphony beta 4, Lotus Notes features, etc.: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23366.wss
Lotus Foundations: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23326.wss that leverages the Net Integration Technologies acquistion: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23325.wss runs on SLES from Novell.
Bluehouse SaaS suite of collaboration features: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23326.wss
Great writeup on the latest Dell mini 10 netbook on Ubuntu:
"Microsoft has restricted Windows 7 Starter to make sure it's no competition for the more full-featured versions of Windows 7. "
Here is an ASUS Eee PC on LInux: http://www.amazon.com/8-9-Inch-Netbook-Mobile-Processor-Battery/dp/B001AJNA02
Simmbook on Ubuntu: http://simmtronics.com/simmbook.php
And interesting predictions on Netbooks on Linux here: http://www.netbooknews.com/1586/netbook-market-trend-predictions-2010/
More adoption trends...
"The freelance marketplace Odesk (www.odesk.org) recently reported thatthe number of Linux-related jobs posted on its boards has increasedmore than 1400% since 2006": http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/press/2009/03/01/linux-foundation-announces-training-program-to-meet-increasing-demand-for-linux-talent/
Berkley is offering Linux courses: http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/news/linuxcourses.html:
"For software programmers and developers worried about layoffs and jobsecurity in these tough economic times, the answer may be as clear asthe screen on your cell phone. That’s because manufacturers of smallconsumer equipment like cell phones and PDAs need programmers trainedin embedded Linux to hand-tune the product’s software code."
And then if you look at the hot jobs in 2009, there is a good intersection of roles that can benefit from such capabilities:
And as you may know, the Obama campaign used Ubuntu nation wide: http://boredandblogging.com/2008/10/21/obama-ubuntu/
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  notes novell gruman galen redhat symphony occs domino software web open infoworld social canonical ubuntu 2.0 linux 3,804 Views
Well, we have been saying this for a while. And we have seen customer interest and adoption starting to trend in this direction for sure...
Check out this article by Galen Gruman in Infoworld: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=Linux+and+Unix&articleId=9128813&taxonomyId=122&pageNumber=1
"Essentially, desktop Linux makes sense as the desktop OS only for thoseemployees who do common work in Office and Web apps. But that's a lotof people."
"OpenOffice is a sound alternative to Microsoft Office, but I spent most of my time with the free IBM Lotus Symphony, which is a slightly better productivity suite than OpenOffice, in the InfoWorld Test Center's evaluation."
"many companies, government agencies, and educational institutions canchuck at least some of them. Those based on XP -- or Windows 2000,which still has a huge installed base in government agencies -- canlook to big savings on licensing, hardware, and training costs."
Check out this article in Computerworld regarding recent Microsoft SEC filing:
1. Canonical (Ubuntu) and RedHat added to the Windows Client competitor list.
2. "Netbooks opened Microsoft to the possibility that some other OS could get its grip on the desktop, however briefly," said Rob Helm, director of research for Directions on Microsoft. "Now it's alert to that possibility going forward."
3. Concerned about OEM partners, HP and Intel supporting Linux on their PCs..
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  system76 denver canonical zareason usa linux california netbook ubuntu 2,430 Views
Two more integrators have started shipping Netbooks on Ubuntu in USA...
California based ZaReason: http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/ZaReason-Terra-A20/
Denver based System76: http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/System76-Starling/
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  novell canonical ubuntu classmate opensource fedora netbook redhat desktop intel belgium linux acer moblin 3,259 Views
Recently Acer announced that they will be shipping their netbooks with Android - google's linux operating system.
Fedora 11 is out: http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Fedora-11-Delivers-Big-Feature-Boost-to-Latest-Linux-Distribution-748274/
Intel Classmate PCs will ship with Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/news/intel-classmate-unr-netbook-remix
Canonical announced planned support for Moblin: http://www.ubuntu.com/news/canoical-commits-ubuntu-moblin
Belgian Ministry of Justice saved 50% on software license costs by moving 10,000 users to SuSe Linux Enterprise Desktop: http://www.novell.com/success/belgian_ministry.html
In response to: Benefits of Desktop Linuxright on. Requests to move to Linux alternatives are on the ramp... http://www.ibm.com/lotus/openclient and see more postings in my blog
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  windows bridges redhat desktop reduce liberate ubuntu canonical linux migrate virtual cost tco microsoft novell roi virtualize 4,035 Views
Reduce costs, lower TCO, <1year ROI?
Here is the Liberate - Migrate - Virtualize recipe
Liberate:- free up money in IT budget by taking alternate procurement strategy: http://www.ibm.com/software/info/liberate
- more than 600 companies have freed up $3.5B over the last 3 years by executing this strategy
Migrate:- Reduce software licencing costs and increase productivity through best-of-breed smarter collaboration technologies
- There are several starting points and scenarios based on user segmentation (http://www.ibm.com/lotus/openclient)
- Microsoft office to Lotus Symphony (http://symphony.lotus.com)
- Microsoft windows to Linux
- Microsoft Outlook/Exchange, SharePoint, etc. to IBM Lotus Collaboration
- Add Lotus Sametime, Lotus Connections, Lotus Quickr etc to the current environment
- Leverage a variety of Integrated Communication Services including converged communications, mobility and wireless, network optimization, RFID, and telecom expense management
- Simplify your server infrastructure by moving to Linux, System Z, etc
- Pick the best delivery model
Virtualize: (http://www.ibm.com/lotus/openclient)- Reduce operational costs
- Virtual windows/Linux desktops for the right user segments
- Managed end user services including self enablement portal, asset recovery, platform integration and deployment, software platform management, and workplace optimization
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  canonical ubuntu midas network desktop cloud virtual windows lotus 2,813 Views
Seeking to have your virtual linux or windows desktop available anytime, anywhere, up in the Cloud?
Want to use Lotus Symphony on the web?
How about emails, social software, real-time communications? Your entire desktop on the Cloud.
Access it using your linux, MAC, windows netbook/laptop/desktop/thin client from home, kiosk, work...
Check out: http://midasnetworks.com/desktop.shtml
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  canonical wsj ubuntu nvidia qualcomm arm smartbook microsoft atom netbook 5,390 Views
This Wall Street Journal article says it all, almost all:
Big week for Smartbook vendors... running Android, Ubuntu, etc.. at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show
Lower price, higher profit margin for vendors...
NO Windows, NO Office,
YES Linux, YES Lotus Symphony, ...
Why almost all?
What they missed is that about 32% of Netbooks are also shipping with Linux...
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  redhat ubuntu kingdom open symphony odf occs linux united standards odfalliance 3,167 Views
"Under the Open Source, Open Standards and Re–Use: Government Action Plan the UK government will specify requirements by reference to open standards and require compliance with open standards in solutions where feasible.1 The government indicated it will support the use of ODF. It will also work to ensure that government information is available in open formats, and it will make this a required standard for government websites."
Seventeen national and eight provincial governments around the world have now officially endorsed ODF for document exchange.