Social Business transformation
This is my top TCO calculator....
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  linux windows liberate ea microsoft government open zealand new 2,046 Visits
New Zealand government has decided NOT to renew their Microsoft Enterprise Agreement.
See the government notification: http://www.ssc.govt.nz/display/document.asp?DocID=7212 and the
news from TheRegister: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/26/microsoft_new_zealand/
"Microsoft has failed to renew a key government-wide purchasing deal for Windows, opening the door to greater use of open-source software. .. A government spokeswoman said the government looks for value for money, fitness for purpose, and strategic benefit in its negotiations. "We didn't feel we got the appropriate levels of benefit from the negotiations," she told Computerworld." (http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/5FA015D542415324CC2575C100804A31)
Check out Project Liberate: http://www.ibm.com/software/info/liberate for more details on how you can save money by NOT renewing/signing Microsoft Enterprise Agreements.
Here is a podcast I did recently around cost reduction strategy:
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  open symphony office virtualize microsoft ibm palmisano migrate collaboration occs linux client liberate 2,301 Visits
Check out this report from eweek on Palmisano's top 15 moves.
Move # 8 is all around the IBM Open Collaboration Client Solution (OCCS -- http://www.ibm.com/lotus/openclient) including virtual linux desktops using Virtual Bridges and Canonical - the Microsoft desktop alternative, and Symphony (http://symphony.lotus.com)
Why should CIOs and CFOs care?
1. Opportunity to free up your IT budget
2. Opportunity to get ROI in less than a year
3. Opportunity to lower TCO
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  windows bridges redhat desktop reduce liberate ubuntu linux canonical migrate virtual cost tco microsoft novell roi virtualize 2,841 Visits
Reduce costs, lower TCO, <1year ROI?
Here is the Liberate - Migrate - Virtualize recipe
Liberate:- free up money in IT budget by taking alternate procurement strategy: http://www.ibm.com/software/info/liberate
- more than 600 companies have freed up $3.5B over the last 3 years by executing this strategy
Migrate:- Reduce software licencing costs and increase productivity through best-of-breed smarter collaboration technologies
- There are several starting points and scenarios based on user segmentation (http://www.ibm.com/lotus/openclient)
- Microsoft office to Lotus Symphony (http://symphony.lotus.com)
- Microsoft windows to Linux
- Microsoft Outlook/Exchange, SharePoint, etc. to IBM Lotus Collaboration
- Add Lotus Sametime, Lotus Connections, Lotus Quickr etc to the current environment
- Leverage a variety of Integrated Communication Services including converged communications, mobility and wireless, network optimization, RFID, and telecom expense management
- Simplify your server infrastructure by moving to Linux, System Z, etc
- Pick the best delivery model
Virtualize: (http://www.ibm.com/lotus/openclient)- Reduce operational costs
- Virtual windows/Linux desktops for the right user segments
- Managed end user services including self enablement portal, asset recovery, platform integration and deployment, software platform management, and workplace optimization
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  planet collaboration virtualize liberate smarter cio symphony migrate cost reduction linux cognition 2,247 Visits
Lotusphere 2009 was quite exciting. I am back again here due to requests from customers and partners who wanted to keep a pulse on competitive insights. So what is new? what is hot?
Cost reduction strategies is hot. Remember? Liberate, Migrate, Virtualize...
Desktop Virtualization is hot. Particularly if you virtualize your Linux desktops. Yes Linux. Check out this solution IBM announced with Virtual Bridges and Canonical in Dec 2008.
Then of course, how can you collaborate smarter? What does it mean to People, their workspace, and the business processes and relevant information sources?
Check these out:
And then the alternatives...