There are several interesting ways by which you can integrate social tools into your business process, and yes transform them.
The social tools itself introduce "social processes" such as
- jam using ideation tools,
- prioritize and learn using serious games and knowledge exchanges,
- share through blogs, activities, and traditional communication/collaboration tools
- discover using personalized analytics driven context
- co-create using semantic wiki, online editors, ...
- amplify with voting/recommendations/scoring
and the like..
Then you have business processes that gets transformed:
- functional areas such as sales, marketing, support/customer care, finance, accounting, HR, supply chain, etc
- industry specific Line of Business areas such as healthcare coordination, or citizen campaigns, or mobile banking
What is it gonna take to provide your client/employees/partners to bring your brand to every experience, unlock creativity everywhere, eliminate guesswork and deploy however you want?
1. use social tools from where you spend most of your time online --- @ work or @ personal
- email clients like Notes, Exchange, etc.
- intranet/extranet/internet portals / web sites
- functional (CRM, ERP, SCM, HR, etc) or Line of Business Applications -- ie your systems of record
- mobile device
you integrate the social tools/capabilities into these environments
2. make the social platform your primary system of engagement/interaction:
- surface relevant activities/tasks within that social platform based on context/next action
- integrate the systems of record into this social platform
3. bring together the systems of engagement and record:
- data in motion: make activity stream the common backplane
- data at rest: apply traditional database joins