Social Business transformation
Stop selling Microsoft Word by Jan 11th 2010.
Pay $290M to i4i
Says U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit to Microsoft today, Dec 22nd 2009!
"The company will be allowed to provide technical support to Word customers, but it will be barred from instructing users on how to use the custom XML editor or from marketing copies of Word that allegedly violate the patent."
Customers do have a choice. Switch to Lotus Symphony, adopt IBM Client for Smart Work..
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  canonical wsj ubuntu nvidia qualcomm arm smartbook microsoft atom netbook 4,227 Views
This Wall Street Journal article says it all, almost all:
Big week for Smartbook vendors... running Android, Ubuntu, etc.. at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show
Lower price, higher profit margin for vendors...
NO Windows, NO Office,
YES Linux, YES Lotus Symphony, ...
Why almost all?
What they missed is that about 32% of Netbooks are also shipping with Linux...
Short and sweet top 10 list of issues with Windows 7:
To net it out...
1. Too much of a learning curve
2. Upgrade challenged from XP (forget it), from Vista (recent study had 30% of responders having issues)
5. Not value for Enterprise
6. Starter edition a non starter
7. search needs to get better
8. little online integration
Good writeup on customers trending towards desktop alternatives..
Excerpts from this article:
As of October 2009, about 9% of 1,414 business technology professionals surveyed by InformationWeek Analytics said that their organizations made extensive use of netbooks and 19% predicted they would make extensive use of them by 2011. About 33 million netbooks were shipped worldwide in 2009.
The worldwide thin client market may grow to 7 million units in 2012, from 2.9 million in 2007, according to IDC. Gartner (IT) expects that by 2014, 15% of traditional professional desktop PCs will be replaced by so-called virtual desktops, which also leave most computing and storage tasks to a centrally located computer, rather than maintain them at the employee's workstation.
"For every dollar I spent buying a PC, I spent 50¢ to the dollar every year maintaining it," Kapoor says. "There's a lot of technical expertise that's required to do that maintenance." iQor has eliminated its help desk and, before long, expects to cut its IT staff to about a quarter its previous size.
Check this out...
380,000 Panasonic users will start using IBM Lotus web mail, cloud software.. Their US users are switching from Microsoft to IBM Lotus.
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  bpos cloud microsoft panasonic lotuslive collaboration 1 Comment 6,874 Views
What is the difference between IBM Cloud and Microsoft/HP Cloud?
- innovations around proven market leading IBM software and hardware capabilities
- Microsoft customers are moving to IBM Cloud - example Panasonic adopting LotusLive
- They recently agreed to agree with a claim of $250M in the next 3 years
- Microsoft customers are moving to IBM Cloud
Stay tuned for more news on this...
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  linux #ls10 simmtronics center waltham symphony virtual icsw preload rajagiri canonical kita #icsw company open ubuntu saintgits bridges zxyware 1 Comment 5,733 Views
We announced IBM Cient for Smart Work in India today at Lotusphere...
This is all around ECOSYSTEM build out...
1. Simmtronics, top 5 memory manufacturer in the world announced global agreement that ships ICSW on their Simmbooks in India, USA, and many other countries worldwide..
2. In partnership with Canonical (primarily) and with Red Hat on a selective basis
3. Academic Initiative center of excellences with 3 engineering colleges in the state of kerala
4. ZSL announced Powercube DaaS in India, Africa, USA
5. Zyxware, IBM and Canonical business partner piloting ICSW in Technopark in Kerala
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  waltham linux open icsw company #icsw canonical #ls10 center 1 Comment 5,681 Views
This the second part of the news http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/29205.wss
1. Canonical announced offering support for Lotus Symphony, one of the core components of IBM Client for Smart Work, through Channel Partners
2. ZSL announced ICSW based PowerCube DaaS in India, USA, Africa
3. Virtual Bridges announced market momentum, and venture funding from Austin Ventures
4. IBM opened IBM Open Company Center in Waltham Innovation Center in MA...
This is quite an interesting list -- top 10 security/quality issues Microsoft should address asap -- per eWeek
"The corporate world is unsure just how well it can trust Microsoft's Windows 7. Windows Vista was a nightmare that most companies didn't adopt. Internet Explorer is in the news, thanks to a security breach. And Windows Mobile is still the also-ran in the market..."
"Microsoft's security woes are troublesome. Not only is Windows not nearly as secure as users would like, but Internet Explorer is causing trouble for users as well. "
"A quick glance around many of the markets where Microsoft operates reveals a staggering issue: the competition is innovating far more rapidly than Microsoft. "
"Microsoft's strategies have focused mainly on the short term. The future of software is, at least by most accounts, centered on the Web. And yet, as the most important software company in the industry, Microsoft is lagging behind the Web software innovators. That's a major blunder"
Watched Avatar in Imax. What a treat. The whole family enjoyed every bit of it...
Interesting to see this article on "is this concept really possible": http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/02/03/avatar.technology.science/index.html?hpt=C2. Personally I dont think its gonna take centuries to realize this vision. Probably a decade. I bet :-)
Interesting analysis on why America needs to innovate, quickly : http://www.minyanville.com/articles/economy-innovatation-jobs-unemployment-graduates-PhDs-students-xerox-microsoft-bell+labs-ibm/index/a/26717/from/yahoo
"The future of America is presently in peril, not just because of the shadowy ways of the "banksters," but because of a sputtering innovation engine that's had the fuel choked off"...
And this article in New York Times by Dick Brass who was a Microsoft VP around 2004: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/opinion/04brass.html on Microsoft's creative distruction:
"But the much more important question is why Microsoft, America’s most famous and prosperous technology company, no longer brings us the future"...
"No one in his right mind should wish Microsoft failure. And yet it is failing, even as it reports record earnings."
"Microsoft has become a clumsy, uncompetitive innovator. Its products are lampooned, often unfairly but sometimes with good reason."
"Microsoft is no longer considered the cool or cutting-edge place to work. There has been a steady exit of its best and brightest."
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  google linux torvalds one apple linus iphone nexus 2 Comments 5,562 Views
Talk about influencer marketing...
Can the Linux community follow Linus Torvald's endorsement of Google Nexus One smartphone and move masses out of iPhone?
Check out this eWeek article: http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/10-Reasons-Why-the-Linux-Community-Could-Influence-iPhone-Sales-124461/
This could get interesting if the Linux community increases adoption of Apple's user interface design principles...
What has the IBM Power 7 launch got to do with Smarter Collaboration?
Primarily on TCO, Total Cost of Ownership...
For example, Lotus Domino on POWER7 consumes 4.9 times less processing resource per task than Microsoft Exchange on Nehalem. So what? Well Lotus Domino can support more users at 40% less cost!
WebSphere Application Server on POWER7 can give around 4x the transaction throughput of .Net on same number of Nehalem cores.
Imagine the productivity and cost benefits to 100s of millions of Lotus collaboration software users...
Imagine the boost to 10s of millions of Domino applications in use...
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  social workforce customer #ibmsocbiz #socbiz social-business bva experience gbs 2,338 Views
Sandy on becoming a social business...
Great video on social selling in action with SugarCRM and IBM Connections -- rfp response scenario... check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3CnYJImchc
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  #ibmsocbiz iwd portal #puresystems wcm cloud #ibmsocialbiz 2,467 Views
Check out this cool demo of deploying Web Experience suites on IBM PureSystems:
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  social asianpaints social-business collaboration 1 Comment 3,507 Views
Today’s customers expect more. They expect you to know them as individuals, to anticipate their needs and to surprise them with interesting new products and services. Yet the traditional approaches to innovation and customer intimacy are hopelessly archaic in today’s world.
Learn how social business and an end-to-end approach to commerce can change the way you interact with your customers, building their loyalty and your brand.
Attend Interconnect Singapore Oct 9-11: interconnect Singapore
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  #ibmsocialbiz #socbiz spss mckinsey ilog portal forrester social bpm analytics connections #ibmsocbiz gbs kenexa gartner cognos 3,940 Views
Does becoming a social business mean transformed business processes? better business outcomes? well
So why should you go to IBM to help your organization transform to become a Social Business?
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  business gbs ais #ibmsocbiz transformation bpm portal activity-stream process social-business connections #socbiz #ibmsocialbiz social 3,371 Views
There are several interesting ways by which you can integrate social tools into your business process, and yes transform them.
The social tools itself introduce "social processes" such as
Then you have business processes that gets transformed:
What is it gonna take to provide your client/employees/partners to bring your brand to every experience, unlock creativity everywhere, eliminate guesswork and deploy however you want?
1. use social tools from where you spend most of your time online --- @ work or @ personal
- email clients like Notes, Exchange, etc.
- intranet/extranet/internet portals / web sites
- functional (CRM, ERP, SCM, HR, etc) or Line of Business Applications -- ie your systems of record
- mobile device
you integrate the social tools/capabilities into these environments
2. make the social platform your primary system of engagement/interaction:
- surface relevant activities/tasks within that social platform based on context/next action
- integrate the systems of record into this social platform
3. bring together the systems of engagement and record:
- data in motion: make activity stream the common backplane
- data at rest: apply traditional database joins
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  workforce care expertise work jive oracle #ibmsocialbiz social #ceoconnect accenture architecture activitystream yammer cogntion gbs 2,903 Views
1. Activity Streams drives Systems Integration across People and Internet of things
2. Expertise on demand re-defines how work gets done
3. Every Employee becomes a brand advocate
4. Social serious gaming dominates user engagement
5. Your customer will manage your reputation
6. Workers determine performance and incentives