Mobile Internet Usage and Android Talk
Mobile Internet Usage:
A study by ABI Research finds that consumers worldwide will send more than 7 trillion SMS messages just in the year 2011. This is huge market by itself. If you look at the merging markets such as India, Indonesia, China will continue to add mobile connections at a rapid pace and no way this seems to be slowing down. In developed markets, subscriptions continue to grow despite the penetration levels greater than 100%. Mobile Internet usage projected to surpass desktop usage within next 5 years so having a mobile presence is essential for businesses.
Future mobile shopping experience will also increase as it will play role in purchasing decisions.
Either websites are migrating existing web service to mobile or create new mobile applications, mobile site or mobile advertisement.
There are pros and cons as to if you chose to create mobile specific websites which will deliver content to smartphones, ipads or other mobile devices or approach to develop applications targeting at iPhone, Android and other mobile platforms …
- Design Applications that are efficient, flexible, fully functional on a mobile phone that optimizes web presence mobile ready. Simplicity is the key for successful app - donot over do the functionality, keep the content and design simple. The app to be developed and changed based on user feedback and enhancements like new data, UI tweaks, new functionality has to be continuously added to the app.
- Performance of Mobile Applications - a faster performing mobile app will result in high user adoption rate. Otherwise it will disappoint the user and user might not only uninstall the app, could also hesitate to download future apps from the brand.
- Try to follow proven Web mobile technologies best practices standard compliance
- User experience of mobile applications - in the mobile context, usability is critical and it is sited as the number one reason why some of the mobile applications are failing.
- Content - when it comes what type of content needs to be displayed and for dynamic content updated ex: Flash is the choice for dynamic content updates
- How soon the product has to be released to the market ex: Mobile application development takes longer than web development depending on complexity of the business
- One of the greatest Challenges for mobile applications is the synchronicity of data - solution is to use the NoSQL database couchDB(document-oriented database) - other challenges are with connection speeds, speed and latency of the site have to be considered when designing the app.
- Cost of development applications vs websites ex; Application development is very expensive
- Limited screen sizes, cross platform and cross devices will remain as the challenges - always create apps for larger devices ie. device-independent pixels, use optimized relative layouts and resolution independent (resolution sizes) ones.
Almost one in five of the world’s population lives with some kind of recognized disability. To improve usability for those of us with sensory or physical limitations, phones have features for accessibility, which are continually improving and becoming more prevalent as technologies advance. One can learn about the various features that a phone may have and link through to manufacturers websites for specific information on particular models.
Mobile web best practices - w3c recommendations, the principal objective is to improve the enhanced user experience of the web when accessed from such mobile devices
Mobile accessibility UI talk
1. Keep the number of externally linked resources to a minimum
2. Do not use frames
3. In mobile, either one can hide or remove unnecessary / large images
4. Provide an Alternative
5. Links: limit links, keep them short, group them and provide skip links
6. Keyboard only: avoid mouseover and mouseout events, double clicks and right clicks
What is Android and why Android Talk?
Android is google's open-source mobile operating system. It's used primarily in smartphones but also can be found on tablets, Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs) or even in kitchen appliances and automobile navigation. The Android SDK provides the tools and APIs necessary to begin developing applications on the Android platform using the Java programming language.
Googles repository has more than 70,000 android applications( Applications are the programs that you download and run on a smartphone).
Developing an Android Web Application:
Android UI Talk:
Android has User Interface guidelines for the interaction and visual design of android applications especially icon designs(referred in menu, dialogs, tabs, status bar and lists) sizes, details, also widget design (view object that serves as an interface for user interaction) design and menu design
Android UI Design patterns:
Design pattern is reuseable approach to solving a commonly-occuring software design problem and used in many different situations.
Coming to Android framework , what are the new UI design patterns ? it has more support for hardware profiles for different screen sizes and densities - android is clearly promoting simple design, consistency and focusing on engaging the user.
5 great UI design patterns are Dashboard , Action Bar, Search Bar, Quick Action and Companion widget
Versions: good to know little about the android versions too .... The Android 1.5 SDK was released in April 2009 and brought along plenty of UI changes, the biggest probably being support for widgets and folders on the homescreens. Then came android 1.6 / 2.0 / 2.0.1 / 2.1. Android 2.2 released in May 2010 brings support for Adobe flash 10.1 - with this you can play flash based games in android web browser(iPhone)
Android(Version 2.3) released in Dec 2010 mostly behind the scenes but also brings a few UI enhancements to Android like consistent feel across menus, dialogs, multi media framework for better support of audio, video and new language support - this is crediting to JIT(just-in-time compiler) optimizations for all the UI enhancements.
Heard of AppInventor?
With google announcing in July 2010 its popular and fun too…. App Inventor is now open to anyone with a google account, you can create fun little apps. This is mainly aimed at developers who wants to try some mobile app design. AppInventor is visual app builder for Googles Android mobile phone platform. It has a friendly user interface, you can just drag and drop function blocks onto the screen and visually design the layout of the UI.
Well, you need
1. Google account
2. MS-Windows / MacOS / Linux
3. and ofcourse, Android phone
Computer and operating system
* Windows: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
* GNU/Linux: Ubuntu 8+, Debian 5+ (or equiv)
* Mozilla Firefox 3.6 or higher
* Apple Safari 5.0 or higher
* Google Chrome 4.0 or higher
* Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or higher
Your computer needs to run Java 6 (also known as Java 1.6).
There are other app creators like Eyemags to create personal apps for any phone including android (now eyemags has native app support for android) and the app can be uploaded to the Android Market.
App User experience principles
Simple, fast, user interactive, high performing and responsive apps get the highest user reviews. In mobile app development keep the user experience as the highest priority.
Mobile website design, Mobile apps and mobile gaming projects are gaining momentum and many freelance developers are jumping onto the android apps development bandwagon and start making money. Mobile shopping will be considerably increasing compared to online shopping.
Android is gaining popularity as the most popular operating system Developers are finding it easy to develop in Android (the interface designer is good in iPhone though) , more logical, more organized, more community support.
Android UI Design patterns