A centralized monitoring system can record data on resources located at different geographies. For example, if the monitoring system is residing in Central time zone of USA and is recording the usage data of resources located in the East and West of USA, then the monitoring system records the data with the timestamp along with the time zone offset.
When a report is run from Tivoli Common Reporting, I would like the report to show the usage data of all the assets in one time zone. I should have the felixibility to choose the time zone in which the report should be generated.
Following are the high level steps to achieve this:
In the Cognos data model,
- Add Timestamp_UTC data item by adding the time zone offset to the recorded timestamp.
- Add a session parameter to pick the client's time zone ID.
- Add a parameter map to contain the complete list of time zone offsets.
- Handle the negative sign of the time zone offset by using Calculation items.
- Add a Timestamp field to dynamically apply the client's time zone using the Calculation items
- Save and publish the model
In the Report Studio
- Use the Timestamp field from the model which was created using the Calculation item
- Save the report
In the Connection page
- Update My Preferences to set the required time zone
- Run the report.
Download the detailed document on 'Reporting with Client's Time zone'