Use the “WASPreUpgrade –machineChange true” command for cross platform migrations.
Steps on the old machine:
1) Run the WebSphere Application Server V8.0 version of the WASPreUpgrade command with the –machineChange true parameter.
2) Zip up the backup directory.
3) Transfer this zip file to the new machine.
Steps on the new machine:
1) Unzip the backup directory.
2) Create the appropriate target profile in the WebSphere Application Server V8.0 install.
3) Run the WASPostUpgrade command.
Do we need to perform a V8.0 installation on the old machine to run the V8.0 WASPreUpgrade command ?
Not required. WebSphere Application Serve provides a createRemoteMigrJar tool for this purpose. You do not have to perform a full WebSphere Application Server V8.0 install on the machine where the old WebSphere Application Server release is installed in order to run the WASPreUpgrade command. A special version of the WASPreUpgrade command can be obtained from a machine where WebSphere Application Server V8.0 is installed.The generated remote migration jar is operating system-specific. Please note if you are migrating from Linux, you must generate the jar from a WebSphere Application Server V8.0 installation on a Linux machine. Ideally the createRemoteMigrJar tool will be of real use when you want to migrate multiple older machines to new platforms.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions."