When teaching units that include business analytics, business reporting, dashboards, data wharehouses, you can use some IBM products that are a good fit to help students understand this topic.
A range of IBM Cognos software and courseware is available for download from the IBM Academic Initiative site.
Products such as :
- IBM Cognos Enterprise Business Intelligence 8.4.1 (Linux, AIX, Solaris, HPUX, Windows)
- IBM Cognos 8 Business Intelligence Transformer 8.4.1 (Windows only)
- IBM DB2 9.7 (Linux, Unix, Windows)
Some Guidance on using IBM Cognos software for teaching purposes :
- You will require access to server environment that can be dedicated to hosting the Cognos business analytics software. Depending on the number of concurrent active students you have, will determine the server resources required. Perhaps you can get started with 100 GB of disk space and 8 GB of server memory.
- Install your preferred RDBMS first - you can use DB2 9.7 if required. Otherwise, most other popular RDBMs are supported by Cognos BI
- Install Cognos BI Enterprise Business Intelligence 8.4.1 on the same server. For production environmnets (ie, at customer sites) often Cognos BI is implement as a two / three tier architecture. For teaching purposes, one tier can support both (DB and BI applications) environments.
Click on Overview to return to the main ANZ Academic Initiative group.