If you're a blogger and you get the privilege of attending a technical event or conference, it can be a great starting point for creative blog topics. Here are some ideas to get you started:
Before an event
During an event
- If you're involved in planning an event, ask for feedback from your audience about topics or formats they'd like to see at the event.
- Spread the word about opportunities at the event, like calls for papers. Example
- Share the event agenda and point out anything new, unusual, or exciting to you.
- Discuss what sessions you're planning to attend and why. Example
- Interview or spotlight on people who will be speaking at the event.
- Provide travel highlights or interesting insights about the location of the event.
- Reach out to other bloggers who are attending the event...make contact...perhaps to suggest to meet in person at the event. Example
- Let your blog readers know where you will be to have a meet-up at the event.
After an event
- Blog about the sessions you attended, people you met, comments her at the lunch table, bar, party, hallway.
- Mention interesting insights and new news you learned at the event. Example
- Meet other bloggers in person.
- Host your meet up or attend one to meet your audience.
- Recap a favorite session and share your thoughts on it. Example
- Post photos or videos from the event. Example (Note: Be sure you have the proper permissions first! Make sure you have a speaker's permission to post any video. If you identify people in your pictures be sure you have their permission.)
- Describe your favorite aspects or moments of the event.
- List your ideas for how to improve the event or what you might do differently if you attend the event next year.
- Share your opinion on announcements or ideas presented at the event.
- Talk about trends you saw emerging at the event. Example
- List new resources you discovered at the event, for example, web sites, blogs, products, etc. that you think might help your readers.
- Talk about anything new you're planning or anything you want to do differently because of something you learned at the event.
Do you have any ideas for blogging related to events? Share with us! Leave your ideas in comments...
If you're interested in meeting fellow My
developerWorks enthusiasts, keeping up with the latest My
developerWorks news, and sharing tips and best practices for using My
developerWorks and social networking, come join us in the My developerWorks enthusiasts group