Send a Link to More Information When a Situation Becomes True
LinkDev 1200009PG3 Visits (5390)
Imagine you are busy perusing your e-mail when a critical alert occurs on a system within your environment. Wouldn't it be nice if you could receive a message containing a link that would open the Tivoli Enterprise Portal and take you right to the relevant area so you could investigate?
This post shows how use Tivoli Monitoring facilities to automatically send a message to do just that. I assume you are familiar with the Tivoli Enterprise Portal Situation and Policy editors and will not go into great detail about them.
Here are the steps:
1. Use the Situation Editor to create a situation (or you may use an existing one). For example, the following will become true when the Windows notepad program is running:
2. Use the Tivoli Enterprise Portal Workflow Editor to create a policy to send an email when the situation becomes true (NOTE: the send e-mail extension action requires ITM 6.2.3):
3. Set the e-mail message text to launch a Tivoli Enterprise Portal workspace based on information in the situation event. For this example, I want to open the default Windows OS workspace for the Managed System associated with the situation event. The event results can then be opened from the events flyover for that node. Unfortunately it is not possible to reliably launch directly into the Event Results workspace because it is only available if it has already been opened. NOTE: symbol references inserted into the query string by the 'Insert Variable Data' buttons will be preceded and followed by a space. Be sure to remove these unwanted spaces or your URL will be invalid. Please replace 'localhost' in my example with values appropriate for your environment.
4. Distribute your situation and policy and open a notepad window on a monitored system. An email should be sent to the designated recipient with values from the situation event substituted into the message subject as well as the link within the message body.
5. Click on the link and, if all is correctly configured, the Tivoli Enterprise Portal should open to the Windows OS workspace for the referenced managed system.
6. Hover over the node, select the link from the event flyover and the Event Details workspace will open