Migrate your CMVC workflow to Rational Team Concert, Part 2
Configure the Defect/Feature Importer to migrate CMVC work items to Rational Team Concert
This content is part # of 3 in the series: Migrate your CMVC workflow to Rational Team Concert, Part 2
This content is part of the series:Migrate your CMVC workflow to Rational Team Concert, Part 2
Stay tuned for additional content in this series.
The CMVC-RTC Connector Plugin includes several tools useful for synchronizing CMVC and Rational Team Concert™, including the Defect/Feature Importer and CMVC-Rational Team Concert SCM Importer. In Part 1, you installed and set up the CMVC-RTC Connector 2.3 plugin on your RTC Eclipse client, then prepared your RTC server and client environments for migration. Here in Part 2, you'll begin migrating work items and source code from CMVC to Rational Team Concert.
What you'll need
As a recap, you'll need the following in your Eclipse development environment:
- A user login for Jazz.net.
- Rational Team Concert server V4.0 or higher with LDAP enabled.
- Rational Team Concert client V4.0 or higher on a stand-alone remote machine.
- A running DB2® instance for saving your configuration and synchronization details.
- A CMVC-RTC Connector Plugin 2.3 installable ZIP available.
Instructions presume you have CMVC and Rational Team Concert clients installed and open in your Eclipse IDE. You will need the following user privileges to migrate your development project and data from CMVC to Rational Team Concert:
- General group access on the root component.
- Report group access on the root component.
Rational Team Concert
- JazzAdmin in the bluegroup for access the component status tab.
- Scrum Master for the project area where you'll import data from CMVC.
- A Developer Client license to access the Rational Team Concert client.
Step 1. Configure the CMVC-Rational Team Concert work item import
To start, you'll use the Defect/Feature Importer configuration wizard to set up a one-way import of CMVC work items to Rational Team Concert:
- Open your Rational Team Concert Eclipse client where you installed the CMVC-RTC Connector 2.3 Plugin.
- Navigate to the CMVC-Connector tab and click CMVC Connector from the main menu. Select WorkItem > Importer/Synchronizer to start the synchronization wizard.
- On the admin page, provide the database details for the Rational Team Concert server where you wish to migrate your CMVC artifacts. When you're done, click Finish.
- Select a previously saved configuration or create a new one. A
configuration is a set of field values for the
Defect/Feature Importer. Here's an example configuration:
Hostname : Hostname of the RTC DB2 server Port No : DB2 port no Username : DB2 instance name Password : DB2 instance password Database name : Sync Database name CMVC User : True / False IIP Authentication : True / False Repository : RTC repository details
Configuring the Defect/Feature Importer
If you select Create New Configuration and click Next, you will see a list of default import parameters. You can change these to create a new configuration. Once you've created a configuration, it will be available in the Select Existing Configuration drop-down list. Choosing Select Existing Configuration will populate the wizard pages with the previously entered values. Executing the wizard after clicking Select Existing Configuration will update the configuration selected with the new values you've entered.
- Choose the repository where you want to receive the CMVC work item
Select your Jazz Repository Connection
Select an existing repository or create a new one, then click Next.
- Set the CMVC properties.
- Enter the following details and click Next:
- CMVC family— Enter the CMVC family
name, server, and port in the following format:
- CMVC user ID— Your CMVC user ID.
- CMVC family password— The password associated with your CMVC user ID.
- CMVC server timezone— Select the timezone where your CMVC server is hosted.
- Connection retry interval— The time interval in minutes after which the Defect/Feature Importer should try again to re-establish connection with the CMVC server.
- Maximum connection retries— The number of times the importer should try to re-establish connection with the CMVC server.
- Pagination— Maximum number of Defects/Features shown per page.
- Import LDAP user name— Check this checkbox if you want to use LDAP to fetch your CMVC username.
- CMVC family— Enter the CMVC family name, server, and port in the following format:
- Finally, you'll see the Rational Team Concert setup page where you'll be asked to confirm that you've performed all the setup steps required for the CMVC Defect/Feature Import. Check all the boxes and click Next.
Step 2. Set up the Rational Team Concert project area
You'll select your Rational Team Concert project area and configure the defect and feature import settings. The Project Area Customization wizard asks you to select your project area, then assists you in synchronizing defect and feature attributes and values between CMVC and Rational Team Concert. Note that you can select only one project area for the import.
Project area customization page
Attributes like Priority and Severity are available by default in CMVC and Rational Team Concert, with enumeration values such as "High," "Low," and so on. Choose whether to automatically synchronize these settings or customize the import.
Set up the project area
Once you've selected your synchronization options for attributes and enumerations, click Setup Project Area. The Defect/Feature Importer will do the following:
- Verify that you are an authorized Scrum Master inside the selected project area.
- Verify that the selected project area is valid for the selected synchronization and import procedures.
- Create an external repository connection for the project area and add synchronization rules for the Defect/Feature Import.
- Configure the selected CMVC enumeration and
Stringattributes inside the project area.
When the setup is complete, you'll see a pop-up message indicating success. Click OK to close the pop-up message, then Next to proceed to the next page.
Step 3. Set the Defect/Feature Importer properties
The synchronization wizard will prompt you to set the following properties for your Defect/Feature Import:
- Log level— Select the appropriate log level from the drop-down list.
- Number of log files— Select the number of log files to be created before a log is rolled over.
- Size of each file— Size of each new log file. When this size is reached a new log file will be created.
- Folder path— Use the Browse button to select an appropriate folder path on your host machine. This location will be used to create logs.
Defect/Feature Importer properties
Click Next after you've set these properties.
You'll be asked to enter properties for your defect and feature queries, respectively. Query properties are used to help fetch work items from CMVC to Rational Team Concert based on the conditions mentioned in the query; thus these fields cannot be left blank.
You can find the query string for each field in the
clause of the Report general query. The format is as follows:
compName in ('comp1','comp2') AND state in ('open','closed') AND addDate >= '2010/01/01'.
To easily extract query input, go to CMVC client > Defects/Features > View > Add condition and click Report General Query. This will generate the query, which you can copy and paste.
If you prefer not to import defects or features from CMVC to Rational Team
Concert, you may select "No" in the Defect or Feature field. Note,
however, that your defect and feature queries cannot both have a value of
"No." If you wish to import all defects or features, enter
1=1 in the respective query field.
Query Properties page
Step 4. Validate and save your configuration
When you click Finish, the CMVC-RTC Connector wizard will validate whether you have the necessary authorization to run the Defect/Feature Import for the given queries. Assuming you have that authorization, you'll see a pop-up message to save the Defect/Feature Import configuration.
Query properties page for the work item importer
- Clicking No saves the user configuration in the database for a later run.
- Clicking Yes starts the import process. Once the process is started, you'll be able to view the status of the Defect/Feature Import via the log files in your log folder path. Clicking "Yes" also saves the user configuration for later use.
Conclusion to Part 2
You've now learned how to use the CMVC to RTC Connector Plugin Defect/Feature Importer to import CMVC work items to Rational Team Concert. Check out Part 3 when you are ready for the final step in this series: Migrating your source code from CMVC to Rational Team Concert.