These information sources provide a high-level introduction to the IBM® Cognos® Business Intelligence (BI) products, and some of the important new features and capabilities for Version 10.2.1.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence — Overview: An introduction to how IBM Cognos Business Intelligence provides reports, analysis, dashboards, and scoreboards to help support the way people think and work when they are trying to understand business performance. Overview material includes demos, white papers, and videos.
- IBM Cognos BI New Features 10.2.1 (Information Center): These topics introduce the new features in IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Version 10.2.1 and include references to the product documentation for additional information. The guide gives an organized view of the features by functional area and audience role.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Redbooks: Use these IBM Redbooks® publications to help you understand the features and capabilities of IBM Cognos Business Intelligence. The IBM Cognos Dynamic Cubes publication helps you to understand the core dynamic cubes capabilities.
Before you install IBM Cognos Business Intelligence, consider your IT environment and your users and their business intelligence requirements. Careful planning facilitates performance, the best use of your resources, and helps you to avoid potential problems.
- Cognos Business Intelligence 10.2.1 Software Environments (Technote): This technote documents an up-to-date list of environments supported by IBM Cognos Business Intelligence products, such as operating systems, patches, browsers, web servers, directory servers, database servers, and application servers. Before installing, review the supported environments to ensure your product works properly.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Release Notes (Information Center): Before you install your IBM Cognos product, it is important to be aware of all issues that can affect your installation strategy. There might be issues that were not known when the installation information was written. Review the Release Notes file before you install your product.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Architecture and Deployment (Information Center): This document describes the IBM Cognos Business Intelligence architecture from the perspectives of structure, communications, workflow, and security. It provides information to help you plan an installation, improve performance, and secure a deployment.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Installation and Configuration — Planning Your Installation (Information Center): This document describes the distribution options for IBM Cognos Business Intelligence components and the tasks you perform to prepare for the installation.
Installing and configuring
After carefully planning your system, you can begin installing the various prerequisites and components. These documents provide step-by-step instructions for installing and configuring components of IBM Cognos Business Intelligence, Version 10.2.1. The IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Information Center has additional product installation guides (such as the IBM Cognos Data Manager installation and configuration guides), component add-on installation guides (such as IBM Cognos Mobile), and getting started installation guides (such as IBM Cognos Reporting).
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Installation and Configuration (Information Center): This guide contains instructions for installing, upgrading, configuring, and testing IBM Cognos Business Intelligence. The document provides information about changing application servers and setting up samples.
- IBM Cognos PowerPlay Installation and Configuration (Information Center): This guide provides instructions about installing, configuring, and testing IBM Cognos PowerPlay.
New versions provide enhancements that can affect many components, such as product features and functionality, performance and scalability, and usability. Consult Cognos Upgrade Central for the latest information about upgrading your existing IBM Cognos Business Intelligence environment to IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Version 10.2.1.
- Planning your upgrade to IBM Cognos Business Intelligence (technote):This document contains information, tools, and resources that can assist before and during an upgrade.
These documents contain recommendations, technical assistance, and proven practices when migrating IBM Cognos Series applications to IBM Cognos Business Intelligence. Additional resources are available on the migration website.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Migration: For the Series 7 customers moving to the latest version of IBM Cognos Business Intelligence, this home page lists links to a number of planning and technical documents, professional migration service assistance, and education.
After installing and configuring, administrators will find these documents useful for server administration, data management, security and content administration, activities management, customization, and portal services administration.
- IBM Cognos — Content Administration in IBM Cognos Connection (Information Center): This document describes the administration tasks you perform in the portal to monitor servers; optimize performance; set access permissions; and schedule and distribute reports, agents, and metrics.
- IBM Cookbook for IBM Cognos 10 for use with SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse (Proven Practices Paper): This document provides techniques for using SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse (SAP BW) as a data source in IBM Cognos Business Intelligence.
- IBM Cognos Security Administration — Security Model (Information Center): This document describes the IBM Cognos security environment in various situations, from a proof-of-concept application where security is rarely enabled to a large-scale enterprise deployment.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Architecture and Deployment — Securing the Deployment (Information Center): This document describes the configuration strategies you can use to secure your IBM Cognos installation.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Installation and Configuration — Configuring IBM Cognos Components to Use an Authentication Provider (Information Center): This document describes how to configure IBM Cognos Business Intelligence to use an existing authentication provider.
Use this document to create data models that enforce design standards.
- Guidelines for Modeling Metadata (Information Center): This document discusses fundamental IBM Cognos modeling concepts that you need to understand about modeling metadata for use in business reporting and analysis, and guidelines for building the relational model.
These documents provide the business report author information and step-by-step procedures and background information to help explore and analyze data; build ad-hoc, standard, and complex reports; integrate with Microsoft® Office; and manage business performance.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Query and Reporting: Gain insight and outperform (white paper): Learn about some of the IBM Cognos Business Intelligence query and reporting capabilities, such as built-in collaboration and social networking, and IBM Cognos Active Report, which you can use to access and interact with report and dashboard content whether you are connected to or disconnected from the network.
- Report Studio User Guide (Information Center): Read about step-by-step procedures and background information to help you create standard and complex reports.
- IBM Cognos Workspace User Guide (Information Center): This document provides step-by-step procedures and background information to help you create workspaces. IBM Cognos Workspace is a web product for creating interactive workspaces using IBM Cognos content, as well as external data sources, according to your specific information needs.
- The IBM Cognos 10 Dynamic Query Cookbook (Proven Practices Paper): Discover techniques for using dynamic query mode in IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Version 10.2 and later. The information also describes product behavior, query optimization, configuring data source connections for Oracle Essbase, SAP BW, and TM1, and how Framework Manager uses dynamic query mode.
When a problem occurs in your IBM Cognos Business Intelligence installation or application, you must determine the scope of the problem, which components are involved, and how to solve the issue. The resources in this section provide information about troubleshooting problems and links to accessing support and services from IBM.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Troubleshooting Guide (Information Center): This information center contains general troubleshooting information to help resolve problems with IBM Cognos software. It also lists some common issues by functional area and steps to resolve problems.
- IBM Cognos SDK Solutions and Diagnostic Tools: IBM Cognos developed a number of diagnostic tools to help verify your environment, troubleshoot issues, and automate the collection of detailed systems information when you need it. Diagnostic results can be attached to cases logged with IBM Cognos Support, significantly reducing time spent during data collection.
- IBM Cognos utility for checking the knowledge base (technotes) for help to resolve errors in the cogserver log file (Technote): Download this utility to show the IBM Cognos technotes associated with an error code from the cogserver.log file. Solutions that you can try are documented in the technote article.
To help you learn the features and capabilities in IBM Cognos 10.2.1 BI, use the samples to guide you through the process of building an application. The samples are an introduction to key concepts you need to understand about how to model your data, create, query, and analyze reports.
- IBM Cognos Samples for IBM Cognos Business Intelligence (Information Center): These topics describe the IBM Cognos Business Intelligence samples and how to install and set them up. Before you can use the samples, you have to install, configure, and run IBM Cognos BI.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Getting Started (Information Center): The tutorial describes the IBM Cognos Business Intelligence architecture and provides examples to illustrate key functionality.