Highlights from developerWorks Information Management in 2009
When I started out as a content editor for this site in late 2002, we were called the "DB2® Developer Domain," and it was definitely all about DB2 on the distributed platforms. The DB2 Developer Domain had been started a year or so before, its primary mission to enable the DB2 developer. Too, there was a new kid on the block called Informix®, so very early on, we were about more than DB2. Informix kept its identity strong in the Informix Zone. Our articles helped developers as they used various tools including WebSphere® and open source tools to get database applications up and running, and the articles helped DBAs hone their skills.
Soon we joined developerWorks, and next thing we knew, we were adding DB2 Content Manager. Slowly our portfolio of products grew. Now we cover products across IBM Information Management, including the database servers (DB2 across various platforms, Informix, IMS™, solidDB®), the Optim™ family of database development and management tools, Enterprise Content Management (FileNet®, IBM Content Manager, OmniFind®), many InfoSphere™ products, and Cognos®.
In 2009, we published many articles and tutorials from across the diverse Information Managment portfolio. In case you missed some of them, here are some of the highlighted articles and series published on the developerWorks Information Management zone this year that are enabling our readers to implement intelligent data strategies in their enterprises today.
- DB2: 2009 saw the launch of DB2 for Linux®, UNIX®, and Windows® V9.7. Take a look at our series of articles on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows V9.7 to get into the nitty gritty of some of the most important new features, especially SQL compatibility features that make it easier to move from other database servers.
- Informix: One of the top reasons people come to our site is that it's one of the best places to find resources for preparing to become certified. This year we published a series of nine tutorials to prepare readers for Informix Dynamic Server 11.50 Fundamentals Exam 555 certification. These tutorials help readers develop knowledge and brush up on skills for entry-level admimistration of IDS 11.50, including basic SQL, installation and configuration, security, backup and recovery, and much more.
- Optim: In June 2009, IBM consolidated many of its Data Studio offerings under the Optim name. To understand how the Optim offerings can hep you manage data and data-driven applications from requirements to retirement, read Integrated Data Management: Managing data across its lifecycle by Holly Hayes.
- InfoSphere Warehouse: Unstructured information represents the largest and fastest-growing source of information today. Our series of articles entitled Text analysis in InfoSphere Warehouse explains the text analysis features found in IBM InfoSphere Warehouse. Learn how to use these features to uncover the hidden value in your unstructured data.
- Cognos: Integrating Cognos into the Information Management portfolio was big news in 2009. Read Werner Schuetz's article on Usage scenarios for integrating metadata from Cognos Business Intelligence and Infosphere Information Server. For a deeper dive into Cognos content, check out the Cognos proven practices.
- InfoSphere DataStage: Speaking of integration, here's another series that has been a hit: IBM InfoSphere DataStage and DB2 pureXML. This series shows step-by-step how to integrate business-critical XML data into your data warehouse using InfoSphere DataStage 8.1 and DB2 pureXML.
- FileNet: If you need to know how to quickly build Enterprise Content Management and Business Process Management applications, check out our series entitled Build FileNet BPM applications using IBM ECM Widgets. ECM Widgets is a new Web 2.0 application based on mashup technology.
We published about 170 articles and tutorials on developerWorks Information Management this year, so that's just the tip of the iceberg. Check it all out in the Information Management technical library. And stay tuned for many new articles and tutorials coming in 2010. Managing your information to yield actionable intelligence will be more important than ever, and developerWorks will be ready and able to help you do it.