Empower students with database skills for a Smarter Planet.
The IBM DB2 Academic Associate program is exclusively for the university community. The preparation course teaches relational database concepts while also providing students with critical, hands-on database skills on IBM’s DB2 and Data Studio software. Smarter Planet solutions rely on an ever growing amount of data. Learn how to be smart about managing that data with this no-charge academic course and IBM exam.
Responsibility for the organization of the IBM DB2 Academic Associate prep course and the testing requires joint collaboration between IBM and the university. The faculty contact should work with an existing IBM contact person, if one exists. Faculty members without a current IBM contact can email email@example.com to request help identifying an IBM contact person.
Class organization steps:
The following steps are needed to provide a class and testing.
- Gather required resources (people and computers)
- Confirm availability of free testing and request DVDs
- Teach the course and allow for student studying
- Request testing support and test the students
Additional details for each step.
- Gather required resources.
- Determine an appropriate and available instructor.
- Determine an appropriate and available IBM proctor for the exam.
- Determine the class manager. The class manager will handle communications with IBM.
- Ensure a computer lab facility will be available for teaching/hands-on labs/exam.
- Confirm availability of free testing and request DVDs.
- At least 6 weeks before the course, the class manager must email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm the details of the course.
- Class managers who are IBM employees can find the Class Request form at the Information Management DB2 Academic Associate Program page. Other class managers should email email@example.com to request this form. This form is used to reserve no-charge testing spaces for the students who successfully complete an approved course. Optionally, DVDs can be ordered for the students as an additional resource.
- Complete the entire course and allow for student studying
- Ensure computers are available and installed with
the required software. Detailed instructions on
computer setup are included in the course DVD. The
minimum configuration of the computers:
- 1.8+ GHz CPU
- 2.0+ GB RAM
- 25GB+ of free hard drive space after installation of operating system
- VMware workstation 6.5 or VMware Player 2.5.3
- Internet access
- Optionally, print the Course Completion Certificate from the AI courseware entry, fill out and deliver to all students who completed all of the course requirements
- Ensure computers are available and installed with the required software. Detailed instructions on computer setup are included in the course DVD. The minimum configuration of the computers:
- Request free testing support and test the students.
- The IBM proctor must request testing support at least 10 days prior to giving the exam.
- Proctor instructions for testing via the DB2 CAS system are posted for IBM employees at the Information Management DB2 Academic Associate Program page.