The Beta Program
You can install the beta version of IBM License Metric Tool or IBM BigFix Inventory to test the features that are currently being developed. This type of beta allows you to work directly with the application web user interface and the BigFix console to configure the application and manage your infrastructure.
NOTE: The below table presents the latest beta features only. However, you can use beta versions of License Metric Tool and BigFix Inventory to try out features that have already been released. To see the list of features that are already available in production and related documentation, see:
|Utilization of the Single and Dual Physical Processor metrics for Microsoft Windows Server||
BigFix Inventory measures utilization of the Single Physical Processor and Dual Physical Processor metrics for Microsoft Windows Server. You can use the information to calculate the license demand for this product. The feature is supported for Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter, Windows Server 2012 Datacenter, and Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter.
|Reporting software installed on shared disks based on software templates||
To ensure completeness of software discovery, it is necessary to collect data from shared disks. The solutions that was available in the previous application updates was in place for some time. However, it could be resource-consuming when shared disks were used extensively. The new solution is based on creating software templates. It allows for limiting the impact of the shared disks scan on the performance of the infrastructure.
To report software that is installed on a shared disk, one of the computers on which the disk is mounted is scanned to create a software template. Then, the template is replicated within a computer group that contains other computers on which the same disk is mounted.
|Support for Google Compute Engine||
You can now identify a computer as running on Google Compute Engine to ensure that its subcapacity is correctly calculated.
|Collecting executable files based on application usage||
To improve software discovery on Linux and Solaris systems, you can now use the files associated with processes that have been run on the computers in your infrastructure, regardless of the file extension. These files, with supplementing information such as path and size, are available on the Scanned File Data report and can be used to create custom discovery and use signatures for software components.
To use this feature, you require the BigFix server and client in version 9.5.5 or higher. Collecting executable files based on application usage is enabled by default for new installations.
|Assigning a new metric to a product||
Pricing calculations are based on the relation between a product and a metric. The software catalog consists of an inventory of standard relations. To define a custom relation, you can assign one of available metrics to an existing product.
|Configuration of user account lockout||
To increase BigFix Inventory security, you can set conditions under which user account is locked. You can set the maximum number of failed login attempts, the period within which these attempts must occur for the account to be locked, and the period for which the account is locked. By default, user account is locked for 5 minutes after the user attempts to log in to BigFix Inventory more than 10 times within 5 minutes.
Provide your feedback
Your feedback is crucial for the development team and your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated. Test the new features and let us know what you think and what can be improved. Use the following communication channels to provide your feedback:
How to participate in the beta?
Get access to the beta downloads page and browse through the available packages. You can download and install License Metric Tool and BigFix Inventory on Linux or Windows. Each of those installation types requires that you have the BigFix platform installed in your environment.
- If you are an existing BigFix customer and you already have BigFix server with License Metric Tool or BigFix Inventory Beta fixlet site, update the beta site to the newest version and use the fixlet to download the installer.
- If you are an existing BigFix customer, but you do not yet have License Metric Tool or BigFix Inventory - write to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your BigFix serial number to get the entitlement for BigFix Inventory or License Metric Tool beta product. To find the serial number, log in to the BigFix console. In the bottom-left corner, click BigFix Management, and then in the navigation tree, click License Overview.
- If you are an existing License Metric Tool or BigFix Inventory version 9 customer and do not yet have the License Metric Tool or BigFix Inventory beta site, write to email@example.com and request the entitlement to 'BigFix Inventory Beta' or 'License Metric Tool' product.
- If you are NOT yet a BigFix customer and you would like to test License Metric Tool version 9 - use THIS form to generate the BigFix license for License Metric Tool beta. Next, download the BigFix server from this LINK (choose production version - not evaluation) and install it using your generated license. You can find detailed instructions in License Metric Tool documentation.
- If you are NOT yet a BigFix customer and you would like to test BigFix Inventory version 9 - write to firstname.lastname@example.org and request a new BigFix license with the entitlement to the BigFix Inventory beta fixlet site.
The beta versions of License Metric Tool and BigFix Inventory work only with beta fixlet sites. So first, you need to make sure your BigFix has the corresponding versions of Beta sites:
- IBM License Reporting (ILMT) v9 Beta - version 40, or
- IBM BigFix Inventory Beta - version 40
Once the Beta site is available, use the following fixlets to download the installer to your chosen endpoint:
- Download IBM License Metric Tool, or
- Download Beta IBM BigFix Inventory
In case of problems with accessing the beta code, please let us know by writing to email@example.com and we'll get back to you.