Deployment of VM, System, and Application Patterns in cloud
- Allow customers to deploy cloud applications on their choice of cloud provisioning servers (e.g. SmartCloud Provisioning/Orchestrator, VMware vCloud Director, AWS CloudFormation, Juju)avoiding any specific vendor lock
- A service provider registry that is although optional but strongly recommended for consumers to discover service providers.
- One or more cloud provisioning service providers (i.e. SCP, SCEnterprise, EC2, VMware vCloud, Amazon CloudFormation) registered to the service provider registry
- A consumer tool (e.g.SCO,SCCD, TWS, DevOps) capable of collaborating with a cloud provisioning service provider is available either installed and configured or accessible via URL interfaces
- A cloud application instance is deployed in the cloud
- The cloud application instance is linked to the originating cloud application template. They are both managed by the provisioning service provider.
Hereafter the steps executed by a user interested in deploying a cloud application using a tool (e.g. SCO, SCD, SCCD, TWS) collaborating with a cloud provisioning server (i.e. SCO) are described:
- User requests the tool to deploy cloud applications.
Tool launches a UI to guide user through the following steps, where a~d are not necessarily in the exact order and may be combined into a composite:
- Shows the list of templates available for instantiation.
- Selects the template to instantiate.
- Shows the possible clouds where to instantiate the template selected in the previous step.
- User selects the target cloud for the instance to be created
- Shows the properties of Instance to fill up for the creation
- User fills the name and description of the instance to be created, and fill/overrides the value of the displayed properties
- User clicks on the instantiate button to submit the creation request
- A progress indicator is displayed
- A message indicating the completion status of the instantiation operation is displayed (we will assume that the instance is successfully instantiated)
- The instance is successfully created in the target cloud.
- The choice of linked data interfaces used under the cover can be either the delegated dialogs or QueryCapability and CreationFactory and must not be confused with the steps above