IBM SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center Wiki
Don't be confused... Licensing is fun and easy! Especially when explained clearly now in this presentation: Licensing Spectrum Virtualize with SVC TPC VSC V9000 V7000 and V5000
SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center Component Product Wiki Pages:
respective Spectrum Storage name: IBM Spectrum Control
respective Spectrum Storage names: IBM Spectrum Control | IBM Spectrum Virtualize | IBM Spectrum Control and Spectrum Protect
Together we all make this wiki great... so pass it on! Please copy this line below and send it to your friends:
Virtual Storage Center live updates - http://ibm.co/H0Ckqb
Welcome to the IBM SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center Wiki
IBM® SmartCloud™ Virtual Storage Center provides efficient virtualization and management of heterogeneous storage systems. It lets you migrate more quickly to an agile cloud architecture that can optimize storage availability and performance, while helping to reduce costs. IBM SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center helps convert existing storage to IBM Smarter Storage, giving you more room for data growth and more simplified storage administration.
This wiki is intended to provide and share helpful and relevant information for users of SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center.
5.2.3 - Highlights (August 22, 2014), now on Fix Central and Passport Advantage
VSC on YouTube - HOW TO videos
NOTE: MANY ENVIRONMENTS CAN GET MOST OF THE "REPORTING" THEY NEED FROM THE WEB UI ALONE
Announcement and Official Web Site
Announced February 12, 2013
IBM SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center V5.1 - Product Announcement Announced October 3, 2012
PLEASE NOTE: A necessary change to the AAS PIDs was made on February 12, 2013 to accommodate our ordering systems. The new AAS PIDs are announced here. The withdrawal of the former AAS PIDs is announced here. This changed does not affect the originally announced Passport Advantage (PPA) part numbers.
Support | FAQ
IBM SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center support page
- Defect? Open a problem management record (PMR) through IBM support for defects and please state that your product is "IBM SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center" PID 5725-F92 (PPA) & PID 5608-W08 (AAS), rather than mentioning the individual underlying products (only exception would be in the case of Storwize V7000, which you should mention your SW PID 5639-VM1 to prove entitlement).
- NOTE: These links are also on developer works. We are trying to avoid duplication of information or resources, but this one is long-established. This page will remain until further notice.
SVC Interoperability Landing Page external customer website provides SVC interoperability information under the title "Supported Hardware List, Device Driver, Firmware Levels & Supported Software for SAN Volume Controller"
- For code upgrades and from what to what you can upgrade with, check this Concurrent Compatibility and Code Cross Reference for SAN Volume Controller page
- TPC Interoperability Landing Page external customer website provides TPC interoperability information including platform, OS, agent and vendor support
- FlashCopy Manager (aka. FCM) All Requirements Landing Page external customer website provides links for each version and release's FCM requirements information including a link to its "virtualization support"
Customer Reference Videos
- MicroStrategies (posted by the business partner - focused around the Storage Resource Management through TPC)
Analysts or Press Coverage
- VSC Analyst Presentation
- Storage Hypervisor Market Report by ESG
- IBM Pulse 2012: A New Storage Hypervisor by David Hill, Mesabi Group
- Getting Storage Under Control by Jane Clabby, Clabby Analytics
- IBM Keeps a Sharp Edge with Smarter Storage By David Hill, Mesabi Group
- SVC ibm.com page provides the latest SVC data sheet
- TPC ibm.com page provides the latest TPC data sheet
- FlashCopy Manager ibm.com page provides the latest FlashCopy Manager data sheet
Related Products (comprising extended solutions)
- SmartCloud Cost Management (formerly TUAM = Tivoli Usage and Accounting Manager). Tivoli Storage Productivity Center, the Storage Resource Management portion of SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center, is one of the supported data collectors for this product
- VMware VMotion Over Distance with Virtual Storage Center
- Coming soon: Recommendations for the use of Solid State Devices (SSDs). In the meantime, please review the section of the SVC 6.4.1 online documentation on configuring and using SSDs.
- An exchange and discussion of Storage Virtualization blog by Barry Whyte, Master Inventor, IBM
- Follow this link for the IBM internal page (public on IBM Connections)
Inviting and Managing Members If you are a manager of this wiki, you can invite other people to read, edit, or manage the wiki by clicking the "Members and Roles" link in the "Site Tools" area on the left.