EGL Distance Learning
For those of you that would like to take this course on your own, you can download the recordings and do the workshops from an earlier seminar.
- Rational Business Developer installed (course materials use 8.0.1, though most concepts still apply to v9)
- At least two years of experience using a software programming language, for example, RPG, COBOL, PL/1, Visual Basic, or PowerBuilder.
- A general knowledge of SQL, computer skills, and a basic understanding of Web technologies is assumed.
- Eclipse IDE
- Using the development workench
- Introduction and deep-dive into the EGL language
- Creating, consuming, and using 3rd party WSDLs
- EGL database and sequential file access
- EGL calling Java programs, and System i and System z resources (for example, calling RPG and COBOL programs remotely)
- Web 2.0 Terms and Concepts
- EGL/Rich UI introduction and project architecture
- EGL/Rich UI Programming Model
Widgets and Views
- Web 2.0 Programming Techniques (ex. Run-time HTML Drag & Drop)
- SOAP Web Services
- REST Services
- Inter-application communication and messaging
Creating reusable components
And more ...
The recordings can be accessed from here:
The file names are:
These are in Windows Media Viewer format.
To download the recordings do the following:
- open a command line window on your machine.
- Type: ftp public.dhe.ibm.com
- When the ftp server responds, enter anonymous as the User ID and your email address as the password.
- When logged on, type: cd software/rational/egl/recordings
- type: ls -l (to see the contents of the directory.)
- Type: bin (to set the download to binary)
- Type: mget EGLDLDay*.*
- Type: y (in response to the server)
- When done downloading, type: bye.