SLP Registration and Discovery Protocols
The possible discovery protocols are described in the IBM Systems Director Info Center - Discovery Protocols.
A successfully discovered agent should have the following protocols:
|Common agent||AIX||CAS CIM (SNMP)(SSH)|
|Linux on Power||CAS CIM (SNMP)(SSH)|
|Legacy L2 agent (5.20.2)||AIX||IPC (SSH)|
|Linux on Power||IPC CIM (SSH)|
|Platform agent||Linux on Power||CIM (SSH)|
|SNMP agent||AIX||SNMP (SSH)|
|SNMP agent||Linux on Power||SNMP (SSH)|
|Agentless||Linux on Power||SSH|
The protocols in ( ) are optional for the agent type.
During discovery, IBM Systems Director server is looking for a number of services registered with SLP; the CAS and CIM protocols both are registered with SLP when the agent is started.
To verify if the slp registration is successful, run the slp_query command:
- AIX: /opt/freeware/cimom/pegasus/bin/slp_query (installed with sysmgt.cimserver.pegasus)
- Linux on Power: /opt/ibm/icc/slp/bin/slp_query (installed as part of platform agent)
- Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\IBM\icc\slp\bin\slp_query.exe
To list all registered SLP services:
- Linux on Power
Note: Basic discovery tries to discover all protocols. Consider to perform Advanced Discovery if you want to discover specific protocol. An advanced discovery profile needs to be setup on the console but then you can specify what agent type you want to discover.
Verify if slp is running on AIX agent
If it is not running, start it with
Restart common and platform agent and slp if SLP registration is missing
- If you have to kill SLP, all still registered services will get lost.
- SLP needs to be running prior to starting cimserver, platform agent or common agent.
- It might take a couple of minutes for the usma slp registration to become available.
To restart the common and platform agent, go to Restart AIX and Linux on Power Agents.