Starting with TEM 7.0, you can extract data using the SOAP protocol from the TEM Web Reports. The SOAP API provides an easy way and efficient way to pull data about computers, inventory information, security information, recent actions, etc. into other systems.
Benefits of SOAP API
- Ease-of-Use: Building basic applications or integrations that use the TEM SOAP API are simple to make either by using example code provided by TEM or by using SOAP libraries provided by most programming languages. Additionally, the SOAP API uses HTTP/HTTPS to transmit data, which makes network communications simple and reliable.
- Efficiency: The TEM SOAP API connects directly to the TEM Web Reports, which caches information locally, and so unlike database queries that will sometimes lock the database and cause performance problems, the SOAP API won't affect performance of the TEM database.
- Flexibility: Queries to the TEM SOAP API use session relevance, which allows you to get results about any object in TEM and allows for results in arbitrary formats.
- And more: The SOAP protocol is well known for robustness and versatility and there is a wealth of information on the Internet to assist with using the SOAP protocol.
Example Uses of the SOAP API
- Retrieve real-time TEM data into company web portals and dashboards.
- Integrate TEM data into third-party and custom security tools.
- Create interactive customized web pages that display specific information for security/operations users that don't need access to the TEM Console or Web Reports.
- Create customized applications to make common TEM reports and information analysis easier.
- And more... The TEM SOAP API can be useful in any situation where you might want to see data outside of the TEM Console or Web Reports.
Tools that use the SOAP API
- The TEM Excel Connector uses the SOAP API. You can test your session relevance queries for your project using the Excel Connector: https://www-304.ibm.com/software/brandcatalog/ismlibrary/details?catalog.label=1TW10EP01
- BFExtractToCSV tool pulls data from the SOAP API using a commandline interface and writes it to a csv file that can be imported into other tools. You can use the pre-defined queries to get information about your agents OR use the Excel Connector tool above to create custom session relevance queries and feed them into the BFExtractToCSV tool. (The tool's default timeout is 3 minutes. However a version of the tool with a 20 minute timeout is available in the attachments section of this guide.)
TEM SOAP API Video
- Watch this instructional video to learn more about how to use the TEM SOAP API (Flash video, 3 min 55 sec).
To access the WSDL file that can be used to make the SOAP API call, you can access http://[webreportsurl]/webreports?wsdl for your TEM 7.0+ Web Reports.
For more information, the Web Reports Guide mentioned in the video, with details on the SOAP Queries, is available here.