Topic
  • 13 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-25T10:41:16Z by asingh1583
asingh1583
asingh1583
22 Posts

Pinned topic RHEL5.3 installation using NIM

‏2013-01-10T06:39:27Z |
 Can anyone help me in installing RHEl 5.3 using NIM on p750, without using DHCP, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Updated on 2013-03-25T10:41:16Z at 2013-03-25T10:41:16Z by asingh1583
  • bsee4u
    bsee4u
    1 Post

Re: RHEL5.3 installation using NIM

‏2013-01-10T15:52:51Z  
     Tried the same thing even going to IBM support and their answer was RHEL installs on IBM Power hardware were not going to be supported by NIM. It doesn't work and IBM didn't want to use it going forward. I had to buy Storix software to have a NIM like environment.
  • gambs
    gambs
    5 Posts

‏2013-01-10T16:46:37Z  
     Hi,

I suppose it is possible, or I should say it might be possible depending on the version of AIX you are using and other specifics to your environment.  There are three main pieces that are used in a Linux on Power installation: tftp, bootp and your favourite repository protocol, which could be HTTP, FTP or NFS.  Assuming each protocol is compatible, you could set up a tftp server, a bootp server and a repository.  I don't see any issue with tftp and in my experience bootpd in AIX seems to work ok with Linux.  I have run into issues with FTP and NFS, but that could be simply a version difference (in later versions of Linux, you can control which version of NFS it uses for install).  What you must remember is that these things are already controlled by NIM and manually changing (for example) the bootptab is going to confuse NIM or at least NIM will come along behind you and wipe out any changes you make.  This is probably the principle reason IBM doesn't recommend trying to do this.  The standard disclaimer of: "You might destroy your NIM environment/server" applies here and at any rate, I recommend learning as much as you can about all the tools listed above before trying this.
  • JayFurmanek
    JayFurmanek
    105 Posts

‏2013-01-10T17:43:18Z  
     Check out section 4.7 on this Redbook:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247296.html?Open

It discusses using NIM for booting Linux.
  • asingh1583
    asingh1583
    22 Posts

‏2013-01-11T03:37:37Z  
     Check out section 4.7 on this Redbook:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247296.html?Open

It discusses using NIM for booting Linux.
     Hi Jay,

Thanks for suggestion, but our environment doesn't allow to configure dhcp and start it, also if you can see the other section where we need to use os_install command for the installation but again the issue is how to create Linux_source, method has also been provided in that but if i am using that procedure its not allowing me to create linux_source.

This all i required as i need to do provisioning through ISD and want to use NIM as a central repository of images to deploy to newly created LPARs. However i succeed in installing Linux using CD.

• asingh1583
    asingh1583
    22 Posts

‏2013-01-11T03:43:37Z  
    • gambs
    • ‏2013-01-10T16:46:37Z
     Hi,

I suppose it is possible, or I should say it might be possible depending on the version of AIX you are using and other specifics to your environment.  There are three main pieces that are used in a Linux on Power installation: tftp, bootp and your favourite repository protocol, which could be HTTP, FTP or NFS.  Assuming each protocol is compatible, you could set up a tftp server, a bootp server and a repository.  I don't see any issue with tftp and in my experience bootpd in AIX seems to work ok with Linux.  I have run into issues with FTP and NFS, but that could be simply a version difference (in later versions of Linux, you can control which version of NFS it uses for install).  What you must remember is that these things are already controlled by NIM and manually changing (for example) the bootptab is going to confuse NIM or at least NIM will come along behind you and wipe out any changes you make.  This is probably the principle reason IBM doesn't recommend trying to do this.  The standard disclaimer of: "You might destroy your NIM environment/server" applies here and at any rate, I recommend learning as much as you can about all the tools listed above before trying this.
     Hello Gambs,

Thanks for sharing the information, i have tried to make entry in /etc/bootptab for the image location and mention bootfile as ppc64.img,but bootp fails to response.

plinux:bf=/data/Rhel53_CD/images/netboot/ppc64.img :ip=NIM IP:ht=ethernet::sa:Put gateway details here:sm:255.255.254.0: and tried booting in SMS mode.

Gives error:

Response to the First BOOTP request was not received
    BOOTP request retry attempt: 1
    BOOTP request retry attempt: 2
    BOOTP request retry attempt: 3
    BOOTP request retry attempt: 4

also allowed /data/Rhel53_CD/images in /etc/tftaccessctl. but no luck at all.

Please share if you have some more techniques doing installation through NIM without using DHCP.
  • JayFurmanek
    JayFurmanek
    105 Posts

‏2013-01-11T16:54:34Z  
     Hi Jay,

Thanks for suggestion, but our environment doesn't allow to configure dhcp and start it, also if you can see the other section where we need to use os_install command for the installation but again the issue is how to create Linux_source, method has also been provided in that but if i am using that procedure its not allowing me to create linux_source.

This all i required as i need to do provisioning through ISD and want to use NIM as a central repository of images to deploy to newly created LPARs. However i succeed in installing Linux using CD.

I think you're on the right track. Your BOOTP requests are not being answered, so that's the first step. The TFTP server can't send anything if there no initial BOOTP answer, so it hasn't even gotten to that point yet.

Are your NIM host and client on the same subnet.? I don't think it will work across subnets.
  • ThinkOpenly
    ThinkOpenly
    41 Posts

‏2013-01-11T21:04:36Z  

I think you're on the right track. Your BOOTP requests are not being answered, so that's the first step. The TFTP server can't send anything if there no initial BOOTP answer, so it hasn't even gotten to that point yet.

Are your NIM host and client on the same subnet.? I don't think it will work across subnets.
    I'm not an expert on NIM, but I think you can use directed BOOTP instead of broadcast BOOTP, and avoid needing the DHCP service on the NIM server.  In the SMS screens, "set boot parameter" (I think) and specify the IP address of the client and NIM server.  I believe this will even allow installs which cross subnet boundaries.
  • asingh1583
    asingh1583
    22 Posts

‏2013-01-14T10:12:39Z  

Hello Jay,

Thanks for information, i got success in installing using BOOTP option.

• JayFurmanek
    JayFurmanek
    105 Posts

‏2013-01-14T20:52:48Z  
     Hello Jay,

Thanks for information, i got success in installing using BOOTP option.

Great!

For the benefit of future message board readers, what ended up being the problem?  Different subnets?
    Updated on 2013-01-14T20:52:48Z at 2013-01-14T20:52:48Z by JayFurmanek
  • asingh1583
    asingh1583
    22 Posts

‏2013-01-15T03:18:05Z  
     Great!

For the benefit of future message board readers, what ended up being the problem?  Different subnets?
     Hi Jay,

There was no any issue with subnet, i had not put entry for images in tftpaccess.ctl file for allowing tftp to read that, after allowing that and configuring bootptab entry properly i got success in installing the same.

Please let me know if you have any other queries regarding this.

• baludada
    baludada
    3 Posts

‏2013-03-22T12:41:23Z  
     Hi Jay,

There was no any issue with subnet, i had not put entry for images in tftpaccess.ctl file for allowing tftp to read that, after allowing that and configuring bootptab entry properly i got success in installing the same.

Please let me know if you have any other queries regarding this.

Hi,
    We are trying to do the same in our environment. I would appreciate if you could post the steps you did to get this going.

Thanks,

• JayFurmanek
    JayFurmanek
    105 Posts

‏2013-03-22T14:22:32Z  
    • baludada
    • ‏2013-03-22T12:41:23Z
     Hi,
    We are trying to do the same in our environment. I would appreciate if you could post the steps you did to get this going.

Thanks,

HI baludada,

Perhaps start a new thread and include details on what you are doing and any error messages/output you are seeing.

• asingh1583
    asingh1583
    22 Posts

‏2013-03-25T10:41:16Z  
    • baludada
    • ‏2013-03-22T12:41:23Z
     Hi,

Thanks,

Hi Baludada,

Please open a new request and tell me in details what you are trying to do. Definitely will help out on this as mentioned by Jay.