Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-05-06T05:59:09Z by TuukkaIlomäki
msoucy
msoucy
337 Posts

Pinned topic EGL RUI education / Depreciation of EGL JSF

‏2014-05-01T13:19:19Z |

A friend of mine pointed out to me today that EGL JSF is being depreciated with the announcement of RBD 9.1.  I know I've asked this before, but are there any plans to offer online education classes for people who still need to learn EGL RUI like myself?  I think learning EGL RUI is more important than ever now.  I've tried doing the tutorials on my own, but find it difficult to do.  I think I would benefit from an instructor run class where I can ask questions.  Lastly, what does IBM expect us to do with all of our existing EGL JSF applications?  There is no migration tool to migrate EGL JSF to EGL RUI.  It looks like my only alternative is to either completely rewrite them in EGL RUI or keep the last version or RBD on my PC before they finally cut the cord on EGL JSF.  I thinking I might have to do both as some of my EGL JSF application are quite large and it would take too long to rewrite them in EGL RUI.

• TuukkaIlomäki
    TuukkaIlomäki
    68 Posts

Re: EGL RUI education / Depreciation of EGL JSF

‏2014-05-01T16:30:18Z  

Just to set the record straight, EGL JSF was already deprecated last year in RBD 9.0 (see the announcement). Nevertheless, not being removed in 9.1 gives us a little more time to find a substitute.

• markevans
    markevans
    2847 Posts

‏2014-05-05T19:40:57Z  

Just to set the record straight, EGL JSF was already deprecated last year in RBD 9.0 (see the announcement). Nevertheless, not being removed in 9.1 gives us a little more time to find a substitute.

Mike,

As Tuukka stated, JSF was originally deprecated in 9.0.    Just to remind you what deprecation means... eventually the support will be removed.  However, for JSF, this will not be the case in 9.1 as it would have been announced as removed.   In 9.1, we will flag the use of the JSF related parts/functions with a warning saying it is deprecated, but it is still usable and you can create new works with JSF.   This does not mean we have or will be doing additional work to upgrade our JSF support to the JSF 2.0 specs..only that what we currently have will remain supported.

As far as timing of removal, the actual removal version/release has not been determined. ... At this time, since it is still part of RBD 9.1, it will remain in support for at least 5 more years given that RBD 9.1 has a minimum of a 5 year life cycle before we can take that release out of support. 

On migration tools, at this time, we do not plan on producing any automated tools within EGL.  However, we have a BP that is very good at UI transformations. If there is enough interest, they may be willing pursue doing this as a billable contract for a customer or as an investment.  

Without tooling, you are correct it is a rewrite process, but given the long life cycle, you have time to plan for the transition and it could be a gradual changeover to RUI.  Hopefully, your architecture separated the business/data logic from the User interface logic so you would be able to preserve/reuse your business/data logic and just replace the UI logic.

Finally, on education, we will have to see if one can be scheduled.  I am not sure it will be, but of course there will be a notice here if it is scheduled.

Mark

• TuukkaIlomäki
    TuukkaIlomäki
    68 Posts

‏2014-05-06T05:59:09Z  
    • markevans
    • ‏2014-05-05T19:40:57Z

Mike,

As Tuukka stated, JSF was originally deprecated in 9.0.    Just to remind you what deprecation means... eventually the support will be removed.  However, for JSF, this will not be the case in 9.1 as it would have been announced as removed.   In 9.1, we will flag the use of the JSF related parts/functions with a warning saying it is deprecated, but it is still usable and you can create new works with JSF.   This does not mean we have or will be doing additional work to upgrade our JSF support to the JSF 2.0 specs..only that what we currently have will remain supported.

As far as timing of removal, the actual removal version/release has not been determined. ... At this time, since it is still part of RBD 9.1, it will remain in support for at least 5 more years given that RBD 9.1 has a minimum of a 5 year life cycle before we can take that release out of support. 

On migration tools, at this time, we do not plan on producing any automated tools within EGL.  However, we have a BP that is very good at UI transformations. If there is enough interest, they may be willing pursue doing this as a billable contract for a customer or as an investment.  

Without tooling, you are correct it is a rewrite process, but given the long life cycle, you have time to plan for the transition and it could be a gradual changeover to RUI.  Hopefully, your architecture separated the business/data logic from the User interface logic so you would be able to preserve/reuse your business/data logic and just replace the UI logic.

Finally, on education, we will have to see if one can be scheduled.  I am not sure it will be, but of course there will be a notice here if it is scheduled.

Mark

Funnily enough, working witf JSF is so much nicer in RBD 9 (in which is is deprecated) than it was in RBD 7.5 ( in which it was supported) - probably simply due to RBD 9 being based on much newer Eclipse.

In a related note, I just noted that end of service has been announced for RBD 7.5. Luckily we made the move to 9.0 just in time.