Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-24T03:34:52Z by Guy Kempny

Pinned topic Bladecenter S RAID-module cycle reboot

‏2013-08-18T19:13:39Z |
Dears. I faced with old good problem (according to forums - since 2007). After power failure, both of BCS RAID controllers seems to be cycle rebooted. I can login to CLI, but after few seconds I get for every command:

Unable to communicate with the controller

or (less often):

Controller has asserted. Log collection under progress

Then ctrl reboots. So, I can't upgrade firmware, collect log, put ctrls to service mode. And, of course, I can't use my data. Tried everything, even replace battery inside SAS-RAID modules. I saw few topics in this forum (2007, 2009, 2012 years), but them solutions aint help. I will be realy grateful for any help.
  • gez
    gez
    275 Posts

Re: Bladecenter S RAID-module cycle reboot

‏2013-08-19T12:47:43Z  

Try the RSSMs one at a time to see if either will stay up and not reboot.

You may need to remove the HDD enclosures as well as the media tray to see if you can get the RSSMs stable, if so start adding components back until the reboots start again.

You may also try shutting everything off in the bladecenter chassis, then remove power from the entire chassis for a few minutes.

Updated on 2013-08-19T12:48:33Z at 2013-08-19T12:48:33Z by gez
  • Ответ: Re: Bladecenter S RAID-module cycle reboot

‏2013-08-19T17:46:11Z  
    • gez
    • ‏2013-08-19T12:47:43Z

Try the RSSMs one at a time to see if either will stay up and not reboot.

You may need to remove the HDD enclosures as well as the media tray to see if you can get the RSSMs stable, if so start adding components back until the reboots start again.

You may also try shutting everything off in the bladecenter chassis, then remove power from the entire chassis for a few minutes.

Tried it all. No result:(

• slickvik
    slickvik
    2 Posts

‏2013-08-20T04:39:51Z  

I have the same exact problem with one of mine - I also tried removing every single component in the chassis to no avail.  The controller keeps rebooting, and will not go into service mode.  Every command says:

Unable to communicate with the controller. Please try again.

I have a suspicion its corrupted firmware, but there is no way to flash the firmware again without putting it in service mode.  

Is there a physical way to force it to go into service mode so I can try re-flashing the firmware?!  I looked around for some type of a hardware reset jumper or pin I could trigger.  The SAS Switch side of this thing at least has a 'fwrollback' command which is useful to revert to a known good firmware.  The RAID side is clearly not as well engineered.

Updated on 2013-08-20T04:42:46Z at 2013-08-20T04:42:46Z by slickvik
  • Guy Kempny
    Guy Kempny
    18 Posts

‏2013-09-24T02:25:41Z  
    • slickvik
    • ‏2013-08-20T04:39:51Z

I have the same exact problem with one of mine - I also tried removing every single component in the chassis to no avail.  The controller keeps rebooting, and will not go into service mode.  Every command says:

Unable to communicate with the controller. Please try again.

I have a suspicion its corrupted firmware, but there is no way to flash the firmware again without putting it in service mode.  

Is there a physical way to force it to go into service mode so I can try re-flashing the firmware?!  I looked around for some type of a hardware reset jumper or pin I could trigger.  The SAS Switch side of this thing at least has a 'fwrollback' command which is useful to revert to a known good firmware.  The RAID side is clearly not as well engineered.

How are you trying to connect to the controllers? via what method?  Can you access them via the AMM? Can you ping them?

• slickvik
    slickvik
    2 Posts

‏2013-09-24T03:06:30Z  

How are you trying to connect to the controllers? via what method?  Can you access them via the AMM? Can you ping them?

I'm able to ping the controller just fine, and even telnet into the actual RAID controller subsystem (the 2nd IP address, 10.0.1.139 in my case).  Once on the command line any command that is issued returns 'Unable to communicate with the controller. Please try again.'.

Note that if I telnet into the SAS switch portion (the 1st IP address, 10.0.1.129) all commands work fine.

• Guy Kempny
    Guy Kempny
    18 Posts

‏2013-09-24T03:34:52Z  
    • slickvik
    • ‏2013-09-24T03:06:30Z

I'm able to ping the controller just fine, and even telnet into the actual RAID controller subsystem (the 2nd IP address, 10.0.1.139 in my case).  Once on the command line any command that is issued returns 'Unable to communicate with the controller. Please try again.'.

Note that if I telnet into the SAS switch portion (the 1st IP address, 10.0.1.129) all commands work fine.

What we did for our  non responsive module was to reset it back to factory defaults. Then reassigned its IP addresses via the AMM.

Of course we had 2 controllers, the other was in survivor mode, and were reliant on it restoring the RAID configuration back to the other controller card once online.

Are you still able to access the data with 1 controller? Just a side note. Earlier firmwares required 2 controllers to populate the I/O bays. ie you could not have a single SAS RAID controller. Do you know the firmware version you are running?