• 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-06T16:30:08Z by rkolla
rkolla
rkolla
75 Posts

Pinned topic Source Code management for DataPower proxies

‏2014-01-28T02:31:45Z |

Hi Experts,

I am new to managing DataPower source code with any SCM tool (SVN, CVS, etc.).

Could you please share your detailed thoughts/experience on how to manage DP proxy configuration and xsl, xml, dpa files that constitute the proxies?

ram

• kenhygh
    kenhygh
    2032 Posts

Re: Source Code management for DataPower proxies

‏2014-01-28T06:34:32Z  

Ram,

I have developers export their services and check them into source control. I also have them individually check in the files (xsl/xml/dpa). I then create scripts to do the import and set-file of these artifacts to higher-level environments.

Certs and keys get their own, separate treatment.

• WS3T_PowerOf_Hattusas
    28 Posts

‏2014-01-28T08:52:21Z  

Hi Ram ,

My customers generally use eclipse based solutions for this. E.g. with WebSphere Integration Developer , IBM Integration Designer or with Eclipse you can create a Java Project and store your xsl , and exported xml files on eclipse and then you make a  "check in-out" on to versioning tools.

Thanks

• rkolla
    rkolla
    75 Posts

‏2014-01-29T19:30:53Z  

@WS3T_PowerOf_Hattusas - Thanks a bunch for the reply. We have to opt out the Java solution due to technical constraints at our end.

@kenhygh - Thank you for the reply.

So after you export the services, how do you check-in them into SCM. Do they unzip and check-in or directly check-in the zip?

Basically I am trying to understand how to maintain both configuration and xml/xsl/dpa files in SCM. Could you please elaborate?

ram

• kenhygh
    kenhygh
    2032 Posts

‏2014-01-29T19:43:16Z  
    • rkolla
    • ‏2014-01-29T19:30:53Z

@WS3T_PowerOf_Hattusas - Thanks a bunch for the reply. We have to opt out the Java solution due to technical constraints at our end.

@kenhygh - Thank you for the reply.

So after you export the services, how do you check-in them into SCM. Do they unzip and check-in or directly check-in the zip?

Basically I am trying to understand how to maintain both configuration and xml/xsl/dpa files in SCM. Could you please elaborate?

ram

I check in exports as a zip.

So, a developer is done with their unit tests, and they're ready to check their stuff in. They do an export of their service to a .zip file, check it in to SCM. Take the files they've updated from their development desktop, check them in to SCM. Mark those files (this varies depending on the SCM) as 'ready for test'. Sometimes this is a branch or a version or a something else.

The deployer then takes these and promotes them to test. Typically, there's also in SCM a DeploymentPolicy file for each environment. Create a working directory. Extract the exported .zip from SCM. Extract the DeploymentPolicy file. Import the .zip using the DeploymentPolicy into the test environment. Upload all files marked for promotion. Test test test.

Each deployment to a higher environment will follow the same pattern. Get the .zip from SCM, along with that environment's DeploymentPolicy. Import, upload files.

In another thread I attached a zip with Python files for doing the export, import, and file upload.

• vishBrokerDP
    vishBrokerDP
    116 Posts

‏2014-01-30T20:19:53Z  

It varies from client to client.

Currently - we are doing version control using a rational synergy tool.

But the concept remains same.

I prefer doing xml exports instead of zip file exports.

With XML exports - it would be easier to compare the file (previous versions) and identify what changed in what release.

We have separate folders created in the version control tool - one for services and another for files ( we have many folders - but mentioning two to just give you an idea)

Services are exported as XML  without exporting (associated) files (selecting - export no files) and then checked-in.

The XSLTs are checked-in separately in files folder.

Then we have a build script - to create a build as XML which is then imported on DP.

(The build contains both services as well as files)

Regards,

Vishnu.

Updated on 2014-01-30T20:20:54Z at 2014-01-30T20:20:54Z by vishBrokerDP
  • rkolla
    rkolla
    75 Posts

‏2014-02-06T16:27:57Z  
    • kenhygh
    • ‏2014-01-29T19:43:16Z

I check in exports as a zip.

So, a developer is done with their unit tests, and they're ready to check their stuff in. They do an export of their service to a .zip file, check it in to SCM. Take the files they've updated from their development desktop, check them in to SCM. Mark those files (this varies depending on the SCM) as 'ready for test'. Sometimes this is a branch or a version or a something else.

The deployer then takes these and promotes them to test. Typically, there's also in SCM a DeploymentPolicy file for each environment. Create a working directory. Extract the exported .zip from SCM. Extract the DeploymentPolicy file. Import the .zip using the DeploymentPolicy into the test environment. Upload all files marked for promotion. Test test test.

Each deployment to a higher environment will follow the same pattern. Get the .zip from SCM, along with that environment's DeploymentPolicy. Import, upload files.

In another thread I attached a zip with Python files for doing the export, import, and file upload.

Sorry ken I was held up with DP upgrade activities.

Thank you for the reply, that helps.

Ram kolla

• rkolla
    rkolla
    75 Posts

‏2014-02-06T16:30:08Z  

It varies from client to client.

Currently - we are doing version control using a rational synergy tool.

But the concept remains same.

I prefer doing xml exports instead of zip file exports.

With XML exports - it would be easier to compare the file (previous versions) and identify what changed in what release.

We have separate folders created in the version control tool - one for services and another for files ( we have many folders - but mentioning two to just give you an idea)

Services are exported as XML  without exporting (associated) files (selecting - export no files) and then checked-in.

The XSLTs are checked-in separately in files folder.

Then we have a build script - to create a build as XML which is then imported on DP.

(The build contains both services as well as files)

Regards,

Vishnu.

Hi Vishnu,

Could you please throw some light on how you are building that import XML from export XML and files?

ram