Topic
  • 11 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-17T16:14:59Z by jose.reyes
Ian Barnard
Ian Barnard
7 Posts

Pinned topic how to connect to an instance using e.g. putty?

‏2013-06-12T10:53:34Z |

Hi

Apologies if this is me being dumb or missing something obvious. I'm an experienced SCE user so I'm used to connecting to cloud instances using putty and my private key(s).

I can provision an instance (nice and fast!) but can't figure out how to connect to it using e.g. putty - no response at all.

I'm using the RHEL63_ITCS104 on the blue zone

I've created a keypair, specified it on the security tab when I provision, associated a floating IP 9.38.xxx.yyy with the instance, ...

I can see the login prompt on the VNC tab of the instance, but don't know the idcuser password...

Converted the .pem keyfile to ppk using puttygen, load it into putty on the auth setting. Putty just shows a blank window, no response...

Can't think of anything else to try.

Updated on 2013-06-12T11:02:45Z at 2013-06-12T11:02:45Z by Ian Barnard
  • jose.reyes
    jose.reyes
    16 Posts

Re: how to connect to an instance using e.g. putty?

‏2013-06-12T20:17:58Z  

Hi Ian,

Can you enable the session logs  on putty to check what's going on?

Also what's the name of the instance?

Regards.

• Ian Barnard
    Ian Barnard
    7 Posts

‏2013-06-12T20:49:24Z  

Hi Ian,

Can you enable the session logs  on putty to check what's going on?

Also what's the name of the instance?

Regards.

it's called ian_rhel (no I'm not very imaginative ;-)

I'm logged in as ian.barnard@uk.ibm.com

I enabled the logging and putty shows that it is trying to connect - and that's it.:

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2013.06.12 21:32:36 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
    Event Log: Writing new session log (SSH raw data mode) to file: C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Downloads\putty.log
    Event Log: Looking up host "9.38.xxx.yyy"
    Event Log: Connecting to 9.38.xxx.yyy port 22

• jose.reyes
    jose.reyes
    16 Posts

‏2013-06-13T16:00:16Z  

it's called ian_rhel (no I'm not very imaginative ;-)

I'm logged in as ian.barnard@uk.ibm.com

I enabled the logging and putty shows that it is trying to connect - and that's it.:

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2013.06.12 21:32:36 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
    Event Log: Writing new session log (SSH raw data mode) to file: C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Downloads\putty.log
    Event Log: Looking up host "9.38.xxx.yyy"
    Event Log: Connecting to 9.38.xxx.yyy port 22

I'm getting a time out error when doing ssh to your instance, could you please reboot it and try again?

Regards.

• Ian Barnard
    Ian Barnard
    7 Posts

‏2013-06-13T16:06:35Z  

I'm getting a time out error when doing ssh to your instance, could you please reboot it and try again?

Regards.

I looked on the VNC tab and it is showing the login prompt and responded when I typed. I rebooted it by ctrlaltdel in VNC, that OK?

Sounds like you're seeing same as me - putty just doesn't connect. I'm on the intranet from my home office, anything to do with that?

• Ian Barnard
    Ian Barnard
    7 Posts

‏2013-06-13T16:21:10Z  

I looked on the VNC tab and it is showing the login prompt and responded when I typed. I rebooted it by ctrlaltdel in VNC, that OK?

Sounds like you're seeing same as me - putty just doesn't connect. I'm on the intranet from my home office, anything to do with that?

I've created another one, ian_sles, ends in .238 - that's just the same. I've created five different instances now and haven't been able to contact any of them. Is there a network problem with routing to the 9.38.xxx.yyy network? Any way I cna check that from my end?

• jose.reyes
    jose.reyes
    16 Posts

‏2013-06-13T18:57:59Z  

I've created another one, ian_sles, ends in .238 - that's just the same. I've created five different instances now and haven't been able to contact any of them. Is there a network problem with routing to the 9.38.xxx.yyy network? Any way I cna check that from my end?

It seems that the problem is related to the floating IPs since I got a response from the instance using the internal IP, so could you please de-allocate the floating IPs to the instances, allocate a new one and then restart them?

Regards.

• Ian Barnard
    Ian Barnard
    7 Posts

‏2013-06-14T07:45:54Z  

It seems that the problem is related to the floating IPs since I got a response from the instance using the internal IP, so could you please de-allocate the floating IPs to the instances, allocate a new one and then restart them?

Regards.

I did as you asked (ian_rhel63 now has IP address 9.38.14.254) and it's just the same, dead as the proverbial dodo. Tried my other instance, same result.

Did a tracert and it looks like the route to the instance is open, at step 10 it shows:

10   139 ms   144 ms   133 ms  cloudFactory-498.democentral.ibm.com [9.38.14.254]
     11     *        *        *     Request timed out.

It looks like DNS is working because the tracert shows a full hostname.

Basically it looks like there's no network problem between me and the instance.

If I disconnect from the intranet by turning off the AT&T VPN then the tracert goes somewhere random.

It is port 22 for SSH isn't it?

Am I using the right image - do you know it works for SSH?

Is there anything else I can try?

• Ian Barnard
    Ian Barnard
    7 Posts

‏2013-06-14T08:47:06Z  

I did as you asked (ian_rhel63 now has IP address 9.38.14.254) and it's just the same, dead as the proverbial dodo. Tried my other instance, same result.

Did a tracert and it looks like the route to the instance is open, at step 10 it shows:

10   139 ms   144 ms   133 ms  cloudFactory-498.democentral.ibm.com [9.38.14.254]
     11     *        *        *     Request timed out.

It looks like DNS is working because the tracert shows a full hostname.

Basically it looks like there's no network problem between me and the instance.

If I disconnect from the intranet by turning off the AT&T VPN then the tracert goes somewhere random.

It is port 22 for SSH isn't it?

Am I using the right image - do you know it works for SSH?

Is there anything else I can try?

Am I provisioning the right way? Apart from setting the key and choosing a non-default server size, is there anything else I need to do?

• jose.reyes
    jose.reyes
    16 Posts

‏2013-06-14T17:19:55Z  

Am I provisioning the right way? Apart from setting the key and choosing a non-default server size, is there anything else I need to do?

Hi Ian,

For some reason the security group rules that allow the ssh access were not ser for your project.

Could you please try to connect again? It should be fixed by now.

Regards!

• Ian Barnard
    Ian Barnard
    7 Posts

‏2013-06-14T17:59:16Z  

Hi Ian,

For some reason the security group rules that allow the ssh access were not ser for your project.

Could you please try to connect again? It should be fixed by now.

Regards!

Partial success but not quite there yet.

One of my instances - ian_rhel63 - I can connect to fine, so I know my putty configuration is good and the key works.

The other instance refused my key (the same one ian_cloud1st as worked with the ian_rhel63 instance)

I tried switching associated IP addresses round and the ian_rhel63 still works and the other one didn't.

I delete the non-working instance and created a new one from the SLES11 image using the same key ian_cloud1st and still the key is refused.

I created another instance (oh it's nice and fast!) from the RHEL63 image and that works fine with putty, so it looks like either I'm doing something wrong when I provision SLES11 or there is something different about that image.

Updated on 2013-06-14T17:59:49Z at 2013-06-14T17:59:49Z by Ian Barnard
  • jose.reyes
    jose.reyes
    16 Posts

‏2013-06-17T16:14:59Z  

Partial success but not quite there yet.

One of my instances - ian_rhel63 - I can connect to fine, so I know my putty configuration is good and the key works.

The other instance refused my key (the same one ian_cloud1st as worked with the ian_rhel63 instance)

I tried switching associated IP addresses round and the ian_rhel63 still works and the other one didn't.

I delete the non-working instance and created a new one from the SLES11 image using the same key ian_cloud1st and still the key is refused.

I created another instance (oh it's nice and fast!) from the RHEL63 image and that works fine with putty, so it looks like either I'm doing something wrong when I provision SLES11 or there is something different about that image.

Hi Ian,

Yes it seems that the SLES11 image is not ready yet, so it cannot be used until fixed.

Regards.