DamienH
4 Posts

Pinned topic Deploying the sample virtual application fails

‏2013-04-16T14:58:22Z |

Hi,

ESXi 5.1.0 build 799733
IBM Virtual Pattern Kit for Developers
Version: 3.1.0.6-20130109144117 / 20130109-1437-421

I am facing an issue while deploying the sample virtual application (DayTraderLite web app) provided in the Virtual Pattern Kit for Developers.
Following the installation guide, when clicking on "deploy", the deployment starts well and then is stuck at 80% (step 4 - 4  preparing middleware).
Same problem occurs when trying to deploy the "sample web application only".

I tried to investigate on the created VM (check the system logs) but I can't connect to it (this time I'm stuck at the login prompt - user cbadmin doesn't work)
Also I checked the different logs accessible from "System -> Troubleshooting" but I didn't find anything relevant.
Where can I look for to know where the deployment process could block?.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

• lswilson
    lswilson
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Deploying the sample virtual application fails

‏2013-04-19T04:24:01Z  

I believe I just solved it. Check your ESXi host and ensure the time is set properly (and set up a connection to a good NTP server). I believe what happened (at least in my case), is that the ESXi host clock (which is what the provisioned VMs will get set to, at least initially) was far enough off from the IVPKfD's time that the security tokens generated by a configuration script in the provisioned VM to log into the kit were being rejected by the kit.

• morganri
    morganri
    109 Posts

‏2013-04-16T15:06:01Z  

Hi,

Due to a recent upgrade this past weekend, we are currently experience an outage on any RedHat Linux based VM due to a scripting issue.

SCAWS instances and patterns are dependent on these VM images.

The SCE support team is currently testing the fix.

Sorry for the disruption.

//Rich

SCAS L3

• DamienH
    DamienH
    4 Posts

‏2013-04-17T08:19:42Z  
    • morganri
    • ‏2013-04-16T15:06:01Z

Hi,

Due to a recent upgrade this past weekend, we are currently experience an outage on any RedHat Linux based VM due to a scripting issue.

SCAWS instances and patterns are dependent on these VM images.

The SCE support team is currently testing the fix.

Sorry for the disruption.

//Rich

SCAS L3

Hi,

in fact the deployment problem occurs on our own system, not with the IBM SCE (but we'll try it soon). We downloaded the VPKFD on our system a few week ago and installed/configured it according to the provided installation guide.

• lswilson
    lswilson
    3 Posts

‏2013-04-18T18:42:57Z  

We are also facing this (or similar) issue. When you have the vApp instance selected, is the "Manage" button available, or greyed out?

• ajohar
    ajohar
    1 Post

‏2013-04-18T20:18:00Z  

One thing to check on is whether the appropriate ports are available on the system hosting your VPKD. For example, provisioned virtual machines try to communicate with the appliance (VPKD in this case) using ports 9443 and 9444.

More information about port settings is in the IWD information center: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/worlodep/v3r1m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.worlodep.doc%2Fiwd%2Friwd_ports.html

• lswilson
    lswilson
    3 Posts

‏2013-04-19T04:24:01Z  

I believe I just solved it. Check your ESXi host and ensure the time is set properly (and set up a connection to a good NTP server). I believe what happened (at least in my case), is that the ESXi host clock (which is what the provisioned VMs will get set to, at least initially) was far enough off from the IVPKfD's time that the security tokens generated by a configuration script in the provisioned VM to log into the kit were being rejected by the kit.

• DamienH
    DamienH
    4 Posts

‏2013-04-22T14:14:05Z  

Thank you for your answers. I checked the ESXi host and saw the ntp server wasn't set. Once configured I tried to deploy the "Sample Web application only" again and it worked fine.

Also the "Sample Java EE Web application" (DayTraderLite web app) was successfuly deployed.

Thanks again.

Damien