Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-25T17:51:38Z by cmercier
cmercier
cmercier
6 Posts

Pinned topic How to include multiple files in RPE document

‏2013-11-20T19:08:08Z |

Would anyone have an example where you would include the contents of all the files in a folder (either a group of Word documents or a group of TXT documents)?

All the contents of these documents would form the basis of a larger document.

Thanks,

Claude

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to include multiple files in RPE document

‏2013-11-25T15:29:37Z  
    • cmercier
    • ‏2013-11-21T18:36:20Z

Dragos,

Thank you for your prompt replies.  You clearly are well versed in everything RPE!

(that was the buttering up part prior to requesting a favor ;-)

Would it be too much trouble to get an example template that does this?  One functioning example would put me well on my way to recreating a former SoDA document that generated a configuration document that was well over 1000 pages.

I've attached a sample XML file with a list of files

Thanks,

Claude

( reposted as original post was deleted since the file was not usable)

The example has been upload here: FileList Example

The archive contains:

• an XML schema based on that strucutre of the XML
    • a template designed to use the XML and insert all the files
    • a test docspec the test XML RPE includes the files by concatenating name of the file to the "dir" value of the filelist.

Once you've generated the document and open it in Word you will not see any content from the included files. To see the content you have 3 options:

Regards,

Dragos

Updated on 2013-11-25T15:41:32Z at 2013-11-25T15:41:32Z by Dragos.Cojocari
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

‏2013-11-21T10:15:59Z  

Hey Claude,

one way of doing this is this:

1. put the list of file names in an xml file with a simple structure

2. define an XSD for the structure

3. create a template that iterates the data and for each entry does an INCLUDEFILE

For step 1 you can create a script/app that lists the content of a folder and puts it in the XML file. You can then have RPE run that app automatically by putting it in the pre-command of the docspec.

Regards,

Dragos

• cmercier
    cmercier
    6 Posts

‏2013-11-21T16:31:14Z  

Hey Claude,

one way of doing this is this:

1. put the list of file names in an xml file with a simple structure

2. define an XSD for the structure

3. create a template that iterates the data and for each entry does an INCLUDEFILE

For step 1 you can create a script/app that lists the content of a folder and puts it in the XML file. You can then have RPE run that app automatically by putting it in the pre-command of the docspec.

Regards,

Dragos

OK, all that seems reasonable although being a newbie for RPE, I find attempting to implement this a little overwhelming.

I might, given enough time, be able to create an XML file that has a list of files that I want to process

However ... I can't find anywhere in the RPE InfoCenter where it would explain how to "iterates the data and for each entry does an INCLUDEFILE".  Everywhere I looked, it mentioned how if you add an Include File, it then prompts you for a specific file.  How do you modify that so as to iterate through a list of file?

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

‏2013-11-21T16:33:42Z  
    • cmercier
    • ‏2013-11-21T16:31:14Z

OK, all that seems reasonable although being a newbie for RPE, I find attempting to implement this a little overwhelming.

I might, given enough time, be able to create an XML file that has a list of files that I want to process

However ... I can't find anywhere in the RPE InfoCenter where it would explain how to "iterates the data and for each entry does an INCLUDEFILE".  Everywhere I looked, it mentioned how if you add an Include File, it then prompts you for a specific file.  How do you modify that so as to iterate through a list of file?

>>> I can't find anywhere in the RPE InfoCenter where it would explain how to "iterates the data and for each entry does an INCLUDEFILE".

Putting the include file statement inside a contianer that has a query on it will create the iteration.

>>> Everywhere I looked, it mentioned how if you add an Include File, it then prompts you for a specific file.

Once you put the inlcudefile element edit its content and instead of the static value use a data/script expression where  you use the data property that gives the XML path.

Regards,

Dragos

• cmercier
    cmercier
    6 Posts

‏2013-11-21T18:36:20Z  

>>> I can't find anywhere in the RPE InfoCenter where it would explain how to "iterates the data and for each entry does an INCLUDEFILE".

Putting the include file statement inside a contianer that has a query on it will create the iteration.

>>> Everywhere I looked, it mentioned how if you add an Include File, it then prompts you for a specific file.

Once you put the inlcudefile element edit its content and instead of the static value use a data/script expression where  you use the data property that gives the XML path.

Regards,

Dragos

Dragos,

Thank you for your prompt replies.  You clearly are well versed in everything RPE!

Would it be too much trouble to get an example template that does this?  One functioning example would put me well on my way to recreating a former SoDA document that generated a configuration document that was well over 1000 pages.

Thanks,

Claude

Attachments

• cmercier
    cmercier
    6 Posts

‏2013-11-25T15:01:13Z  
    This reply was deleted by Dragos.Cojocari 2013-11-25T15:29:07Z. Reason for deletion: broken file

Thanks so much for doing this Dragos.  Nice to see that you can be buttered up!

I am having trouble with the attachment though.  I assume that this should be a zip file but when I rename it and try and open the file, I get an error saying that it is not a valid archive.

Claude

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

‏2013-11-25T15:29:37Z  
    • cmercier
    • ‏2013-11-21T18:36:20Z

Dragos,

Thanks,

Claude

The archive contains:

• a test docspec the test XML RPE includes the files by concatenating name of the file to the "dir" value of the filelist.

Once you've generated the document and open it in Word you will not see any content from the included files. To see the content you have 3 options:

Regards,

Dragos

Updated on 2013-11-25T15:41:32Z at 2013-11-25T15:41:32Z by Dragos.Cojocari
  • cmercier
    cmercier
    6 Posts

‏2013-11-25T17:51:38Z  

The archive contains:

Regards,

Dragos

Thank you so much Dragos.

Works like a charm.

Claude