Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2018-08-30T16:16:08Z by JuergenWeiss
JuergenWeiss
JuergenWeiss
2 Posts

Pinned topic ERROR: Error restoring Installation Manager state.

‏2018-08-23T14:19:34Z | eclipse installation_manager installationmanager permissions z/os

My customer is using Installation Manager for z/OS V1.4.x and gets the following errors when trying to list the installed packages:

ERROR: Error restoring Installation Manager state.                     
  ERROR: Your user ID or group does not have write permissions granted for the installation directory: /InstallationManager/bin/eclipse .
This is currently mounted as Read-Only.

The main question is,  why does the /bin/eclipse directory need to be R/W? We understand that the agent data needs to be, but we are unsure why this directory needs to be R/W.

While all documentation refers to the necessity to have this mounted in R/W, the customer wants to understand the reason behind it.

Anybody has a clue?

• jmierze
    jmierze
    1 Post

Re: ERROR: Error restoring Installation Manager state.

‏2018-08-29T03:08:50Z  

The check is made to ensure that Installation Manager is being invoked in the correct user ID and group, to prevent mid-installation failures later.

I believe the requirement is not that the bin filesystem be mounted read/write (though the appdata filesystem must be), but that the correct file pernissions (e.g. 775) be set for group mode.

• JuergenWeiss
    JuergenWeiss
    2 Posts

Re: ERROR: Error restoring Installation Manager state.

‏2018-08-30T16:16:08Z  

Thanks, Jeff!

Unfortunately, I had to re-open the topic based on the customer's feedback:

I've run some testing this morning, I've modified ALL files under /InstallationManager to have 775 permissions. I then tried the following:

With /bin mounted R/W: I get a proper response with installed packages.

With /bin mounted R/O: I get the same issue as before:

ERROR: Error restoring Installation Manager state.

ERROR: Your user ID or group does not have write permissions granted for the installation directory: /InstallationManager/bin/eclipse .

So I believe that is not the correct answer.

The reasons we have those concerns is that we maintain this as part of our RSU procedure, for that, we keep the appdata folder separately but we do not want any data written into the other sections as they will not be saved when we apply maintenance.